Windows 7 Outlook SCANPST.EXE unable to access files for repair

BarryS

Hi running Win7 X64 having recently (2 months) transferred from XP. My Outlook pst files are in need or repair. I have used SCANPST.EXE on previous machines so am familiar with it. The problem is that the .pst files are stored, as it is the default location, within "/Users/Uername/Local Settings". This directory gives me the message "Access is Denied". I am logged in as adminstrator but am unable to see a way round this.
Any help much appreciated.

Take a look for your .pst file here
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst
you may have to change your view settings by enabling "Show Hidden files, folder or drives"

You bet. Glad you were able to resolve your issue. Welcome to the forums and thanks for joining. Your membership and participation is appreciated. Hope to continue to see you around.
Regards
Randy

The Scanpst.exe has limitations in its ability to repair corrupt PST files. It can only effectively repair files with a lower level of corruption, and if the corruption is severe, the tool may not be of much help. Additionally, if the PST file size is too large, then scanpst.exe may fail to do this task, It is recommended to consider using a third-party tool such as Stellar Repair for Outlook to repair your corrupt PST files.

This tool offers various features, such as:
  • The ability to repair damaged or corrupt Outlook Data Files (PST).
  • Repair encrypted and password-protected files.
  • Save recovered PST files to different formats.
  • Export recovered PST files to Office 365.
To ensure that the tool meets your needs, you can download the demo version and preview the repaired PST file before making any purchasing decisions.

Last edited:
The "Access is Denied" error message indicates that you do not have the necessary permissions to access the "/Users/Username/Local Settings" directory where your PST files are located.

To resolve this issue, you can try the following steps:
  1. Run Outlook as an administrator. Right-click on the Outlook icon and select "Run as administrator" from the context menu. This should give you the necessary permissions to access the directory.
  2. Change the permissions on the directory. Right-click on the "/Users/Username/Local Settings" directory and select "Properties" from the context menu. In the Properties dialog box, click on the "Security" tab and then click on the "Edit" button. In the Permissions dialog box, click on "Add" and type in your username (or the name of the administrator account) and click on "OK". Then, select your username (or the administrator account) from the list of Group or user names, and check the "Full Control" box under "Allow". Click on "Apply" and then "OK" to save the changes.
  3. Move the PST files to a different location. You can create a new folder on your desktop or another location on your computer and move the PST files to that folder. Then, try running SCANPST.EXE on the PST files from the new location.

Back