Windows Vista Overcoming Unnecessary security restrictio

Johnain

I use a TV guide called DigiGuide. Every ten minutes or so I get a Modal Popup window that says "Failed to save user profile because of the following error (5). Accès refusé. ( It is a French machine).

The title bar of the popup unhelpfully just says "Error".

I think I have identified this as a program referred to as Orb.exe, a part of DigiGuide.

But how do I overcome the problem?

Thanks Kemical.

They offer a re_install (Which failed to fix the problem), or that I move Digiguide to "My Documents". I tried both and so far the latter has worked. It's a bit of a naff solution becaust it fails to address the real problem, but it works fine.

Regards

John

Hi Johnain, glad to hear you found a solution of sorts and hope no further problems appear.. :D

TBH I am constantly frustrated by the "Vista knows best" approach to security. I cannot install anything without several confirmations that I realoly want to, and now I have discovered another issue.

I want to configure a port for my own use. Vista will not allow me to. Presumably if I could log on as Administrator this would be possible, but I cannot because I do not know the password or user-id for the administrator account. This is a pre-loaded Carrfour-supplied machine and one would think that Microsoft own it, not me.

If anybody has any ideas I would welcome them. I do not want to moan about Microsoft, but often hours just drify by whilst I try to figure out how to get round unnecessary restrictions.

I decided not to take the hammer approach :))), and to turn off the UAC.

This was more difficult than I expected because this is a French Language PC, so lots of basic stuff is spelt differently. I also turned on the hidden administrator account.

In case anybody else is in the same dilemma, not too familiar with techie french, here is how I did it (English version in blue).

1. Turn off the UAC

Simple. Download and run this Disable Annoying Vista UAC popups with TweakUAC (free!)

It is free and it works.

2. Turn on the hidden administrator account.

Find the command prompt. It is probably pinned to your start menu, but if not then try Démarrer --> Programmes --> Accessiores Start --> Programs --> Accessorees and you will see it there.

Right click on it and select Exécuter en tant qu'administrateur

You will get the black DOS window

Assuming that the password you want for your administrator account is MAckem99, Type ...

Net user administrateur MAckem99 and hit enter
Net user administrator MAckem99

You will get a message confirming successful "termination" of the command

Then type

Net user administrateur :active:yes exactly like that and hit enter
Net user administrator :active:yes

You will get a message confirming successful "termination" of the command

That's it folks ... test it out with "Change user" and you will see the administrator account ready to log into. You can do so with the password MAckem99

Exccellent stuff and thanks for the lesson in tech french..:D

Hi folks

It is probably obvious, but if ly sysntax rearlier does not work, then try

Then type ...

Net user administrateur /active:yes
Net user administrator /active:yes

... instead. It did for me on my next PC upgrade to Windows (ultimate)

Back