Windows 7 Partial Internet Connectivity

Wildcat Rudy

Background: I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit, with IE9.

Symptom: Internet access works fine with everything, except any program that seems to be tied to Internet Explorer. Programs such as command line utilities (Powershell, etc.), other browsers (Chrome, etc.), FTP, Usenet reader, Tweetdeck, Dropbox, etc. all work properly. However, IE9, desktop gadgets and a couple of other programs cannot access the internet. It is like a component in IE9 (such as a driver file, a service, registry setting, or something else) is missing or mis-configured.

This all started one day when I had shut the computer down. When I restarted it, the network interface was not working at all--I could not even ping the router. I ended up having to go to Device Manager, delete the network card, have Device Manager detect it again, and reinstall it. Everything on the network came up properly but, at that point, IE and everything else tied to it (like gadgets) were no longer working.

Here is what I've done so far...

1. Looked at ipconfig /all and everything looks good.

2. HijackThis showed nothing that I did not recognize; it did complain about some common missing files, but it turns out that these entries are caused by using 64-bit Windows.

3. In addition to Windows Defender, I also run Avast antivirus. I ran a full scan in both programs and nothing bad turned up. I also downloaded a couple of others (Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes, etc.) and they did not find anything either. The only oddity is that in Avast, it complains that it cannot start the Web Shield protection, and I've even uninstalled and reinstalled Avast.

3A. I also disabled Avast, and also tried the computer with Avast uninstalled. No difference.

4. IE is not set to offline mode. (That's a common issue I've found. ;) )

5. Ran the System File Checker--all files check out OK.

6. Looked at the Event Viewer immediately after trying to use IE, but no errors are thrown. (Unless I need to set Event Viewer to log additional events.)

7. I did a full reset of IE9, per Microsoft's instructions.

8. Just about all Windows updates have been applied, except for the past month or so that I've had this problem--I did not want to make things worse. (They are downloaded but NOT installed, in other words.)

9. I also reset Winsock using netsh winsock reset.

10. I disabled the Windows Firewall in case a corrupted entry was in the table; no luck. I do not run any other firewalls. The router has a firewall, but that has been in place for almost a year.

11. As for other things I've done, I have looked through the Local Security Policy, running services, etc., and don't really see anything out of the ordinary.

I did try this at one other Windows forum, but when I made one mention of checking registry settings, I got "talked down to". I am more of an advanced user, so I prefer to work via command line, policy settings, etc. rather than mess around with "for dummies" fixes like the other site was pushing me toward. ;)

I have seen other complaints about this same problem, but have read through them all and none of the fixes applied, or some never were resolved.

It's a minor problem for me (I rarely use IE), but still, I'd like to have it working.

Thanks!

One clue that might help: I ran IE through the process of setting up a new internet connection. The message I got back was that Windows could not detect any networking hardware, then offered PPPoE and dial-up as options.

Somehow, IE isn't detecting the network connection, and yet everything else internet-related is working fine.

BTW, to clarify, I reset both the Winsock and TCP/IP stacks as follows (followed by a reboot, of course):

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset reset.log hit

Sorry, I am not the expert here on this type of thing, but after 4 days, I will get it started.

Are there any specific sites you seem to have the problem more than others? Have you tried the compatiblity option on that page?

There are 32 bit, 64 bit and 64 bit (with no addons) versions of IE. Do they all behave the same?

Does the Firewall log you can enable give any clues?

You might go ahead and allow the updates. It seems .Net 4 might be related, but don't know for sure.

I will have to think about the detecting a network connection comment, but your network is private? Maybe someone else will know.

It looks to me like you've gone pretty much above and beyond the call, in attempting to address a problem that seems to be for the most part only impacting IE9. So in addition to what Saltgrass has already asked, especially about the 64 bit version of IE as well as the no-addons version acting the same.
Have you considered uninstalling IE9 completely?
Click the start orb and type
installed updates into the search box and hit enter
scroll down (probably just a few up from the bottom) and select Windows Internet Explorer 9 and click the uninstall button.
This should revert you back to IE8, test and see if it works correctly. Then you can use this resource to download and install IE9 again and see if that process unscrambles it's brains.
I had a similar problem early on with IE9, I believe it was during the beta / CTP / RCs, and this was what I had to do to get it working again. No guarantee just thought I would add it for something else to try.
Regards and welcome to the forums.
Randy

Hi Randy, thanks for the reply!

IE8 had the same problem as IE9--I only tried hopping to IE9 to see if any missing IE-based driver or system file would be updated or replaced if missing. No such luck.

This is showing up in other programs also (something I forgot to mention). I can't get my Zune software to connect to its server at zune.net, and there are a couple of other music streaming apps on my computer that quit working as well (Audiogalaxy and PlayOn.tv). Audiogalaxy was working fine earlier this summer. (I can stream selected directories from my computer on my local network to a remote computer, or my Android-based phone, etc.)

What is puzzling is that it was a freak coincidence that it quit after my little problem with the computer being turned off, and the netowrk driver being totally dumped when I restarted it.

I just wish I knew of some other monitoring or tracing program I could use to find out why packets can go back and forth to most of my internet programs as opposed to being a dead end when accessing anything that is apparently related to IE and/or Win7 OS. Or to put it another way, there is some additional layer between the internet and IE8/IE9/Win7 that isn't there with other browsers and internet utilities.

And to answer Saltgrass above: neither 32-bit or 64-bit IE work on this two-bit computer. :D

One other thing I noticed in Device Manager--all of the WAN Miniport entries are showing the yellow triangle. It complains with a Code 31 (This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device). Try to update the driver files (either searching online, or browsing on the computer) and while it seems to find the driver, it then says, "The system cannot find the file specified."

Aren't the Miniports tied to VPN? This may not be related to my problem...or maybe it is? Right now I'm attempting to fix the WAN Miniports to see if that makes any difference.

I had a problem like this similar on a computer I fixed recently.

First off, does IE give you the error msg Cannot connect to the internet or does the webpage say anything?

I had a problem like this similar on a computer I fixed recently.

First off, does IE give you the error msg Cannot connect to the internet or does the webpage say anything?

It's the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error page, with the diagnostics button (which, in typical fashion, does nothing).

They didn't teach us anything about this in our A+ courses, did they? ;)

BTW, reading through related threads here and elsewhere, I've already tried checking and unchecking the proxy setting (to see if anything was "stuck"), and also took a look through the registry to see if there were any rogue entries. One common tip I've also seen is to make certain IE is not in offline mode, which it is not...but it is certainly acting like it is!

Also, the network icon in my system tray as the red X through it, and yet when you click it, it shows I'm connected to a network that has internet access.

Last edited:
No they never did teach us this in A+ thats for sure. :D

Trust me I believe your pain with the "Diagnostics" button. It is worthless.

I assume your wired? I also assume something may be wrong with the network card. You should try to ping a website like yahoo and see what happens. Also if you have another network card I would test that as well so you can narrow it down even further.

Even though you have tried running antivirus and other solutions, another thing I can recommend is to use Norton Power Eraser. It scans for things like changed hosts files and such, its a really good program in my opinion.

I was actually hoping we'd learn more about advanced diagnostics like this in A+. (And to be honest, I learned more about networking in my Server 2008 certification class than in Network+! ;) )

At any rate, my hosts file is good--I have a couple dozen manual entries for projects I've worked on. And actually, a bad entry in the hosts file would kill access for all internet programs, not just IE. IE can't get to anything--I usually check for Google first when I have a problem--if I can't reach it in a browser, I try a ping. IE can't even find the local router at 192.168.10.1. Heck, it can't even access localhost!

I have two network devices in this computer, but one was dysfunctional and I disabled it. Before that, I had the same problem anyway. One is on the motherboard and the other is a PCI card, but both are Realtek (which use different drivers BTW). I noticed in the past couple of weeks that a new driver is shown as available from Microsoft, so I may try that. I have already gone the direct route, however, and gotten genuine drivers from the manufacturer which didn't work...unless MS knows something that I don't. ;)

The hosts file actually would'nt kill all internet programs. I say this because the computer I fixed had a hosts file issue and whatever it was, hid the hosts file from me so I couldnt modify it. However, I was able to use Norton power eraser to modify it back. During that time I used Power Eraser, I could use other internet programs such as Windows Update, Google Chrome, etc. so it is possible for that to occur but in your situation I don't know. It seems like a network card issue. Only way to tell is by using another card to see if that works, or even trying that network card in a different computer if possible.

I agree it's probably related to the network card or its associated driver. I haven't had time to try the MS-provided driver for my network adapter, but will give it a shot later on. Although I've already deleted the item and reinstalled it a few times via Device Manager, maybe with a fresh driver it might do something.

I just wish I could find the missing component here. It's odd that a connection failure would not show up in any of the numerous logs we have at our disposal...

I know, you assume the logs would help keep track of problems like these, but they don't. Please tell me if the MS-provided driver does work.

When you reset your computer was it installing any updates at that time?

I would only use the Microsoft Provided driver as a driver of last resort. I would first attempt to identify the Manufacturer, Model Name, Model Number and Revision Number and use the manufacture's website to obtain the latest driver and install that manually.
I would also completely remove any third party firewall products (Comodo, ZoneAlarm, etc) and any third party internet security suites / antivirus software (Avast, Avira, AVG, Norton/Symantec, McAfee, etc.,) by first using the programs and features applet in the control panel and follow that up by the vendor specific proprietary removal tool, a list of which can be found here. If yours is not in the list, try to Google for it to make sure you remove any remaining remnants even going so far as to use the installer for any previously installed products that you may think are uninstalled but remnants may remain. Reboot the computer and install Link Removed due to 404 Error as a replacement.
Keep us posted
Regards
Randy

OK, if you are running IE and because you stated you once had two network adapters, perhaps something you might check.

IE Tools-internet options-connections tab-setup internet connection. There are two choices. You probably show no internet connection, but if there is an option to set up a new connection, you might try that. I know you tried setting up a new network connection, just did not know if you used this option or the one on the Network and Sharing page.

I am just guessing, but if for some reason IE still thought it had a connection, it might need to be jolted to another one.

I currently have the Windows Firewall log turned on to see if anything shows up as far as connections being blocked, but I have had none so far.

And why was one of your Network Adapters dysfunctional, and which one was it?

Last edited:
Sorry it takes awhile to reply--I'm having to use the computer most of the day for work, so there isn't much time to tinker with it...

OK, if you are running IE and because you stated you once had two network adapters, perhaps something you might check.

IE Tools-internet options-connections tab-setup internet connection. There are two choices. You probably show no internet connection, but if there is an option to set up a new connection, you might try that. I know you tried setting up a new network connection, just did not know if you used this option or the one on the Network and Sharing page.

I am just guessing, but if for some reason IE still thought it had a connection, it might need to be jolted to another one.

You know, I had that same idea also, but what it does is bring me to a dialog saying I already have an Internet connection, but I check the box to set one up anyway. From that point, it only offers me a PPPoE setup option or, if I check another box, also adds dial-up. These both are geared toward having some kind of modem in my computer, as opposed to connecting via router as I do now.

I currently have the Windows Firewall log turned on to see if anything shows up as far as connections being blocked, but I have had none so far.

I've had mine completely turned off, and it still won't connect. I disabled everything security-related, even as recently as a day ago (to troubleshoot a streaming app, which had its own issues), but we're still DOA.

And why was one of your Network Adapters dysfunctional, and which one was it?

Here's where things get strange. :D

I had an ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe motherboard since 2003, but between a failing power supply and other things, I finally bit the bullet and got a quad-core AMD and new ASUS motherboard which, like my old one, had on-board ethernet. (The older one actually had two ports--one generic, and one 3Com powered.) Anyway, that was in March of 2010 that I built the new one. The motherboard has been something of a headache. I still occasionally have problems where it won't boot, and I have to disconnect all of the USB connections (except keyboard/mouse) to get it to boot. Seems better after a Win7 update in recent months, though, which addressed USB issues (so maybe it was partly Win7 related...?).

In the summer, I got on the computer one afternoon to find I had no network connection. Tried everything, reloaded drivers, replaced a cable, etc., and nothing worked. I can't even recall what the status lights showed on the back of the connection, but I needed the computer and got an additional network card. Then, disabled the card on the motherboard through BIOS so it would not show up in Win7.

I had some other hiccup recently (after IE quit working) where my additional card quit working. Same thing--reload drivers, push the big red button and turn the violet knob, etc. etc., so on a lark, I re-enabled the on-board ethernet. And it worked perfectly! And now after this recent driver update from Microsoft, I have the additional card up and running again perfectly as well. I've again disabled the motherboard ethernet.

I am really tempted to borrow the wireless network card out of my kids' computer and try it in this one. If I still don't get IE, at least I will know it's related to something in Win7/IE and not a driver issue. Although with the history on these two I have now (which are both RealTek-based), it makes me wonder!!

I know, you assume the logs would help keep track of problems like these, but they don't. Please tell me if the MS-provided driver does work.

When you reset your computer was it installing any updates at that time?

Indeed, it did work, and actually brought one of them back to life. :D

As for updates...I download them, but install manually.

I am truely at a lost for this one. I have no idea what could be wrong at this, considering you've exhausted a TON of options. I could recommend a reinstall of the OS, but even that seems a little extreme for the situation considering you can live without it.

I will have to go to the basic, as well as I understand them. Sorry, but I am not talking down, just talking......But the situation with your network adapters leads me to be suspicious.

Been doing any Parental Controlling lately? Maybe your kids have limited your access!

You can ping 127.0.0.1?

What the heck, what can you ping into? Just your LAN or wherever on the net?

You can't see anything on your LAN (like your router) or the net with IE, but you can with Firefox?

The windows firewall log says nothing?

For all I know, the act of inserting a card into your motherboard may have moved it enough to make a connection..

I am truely at a lost for this one. I have no idea what could be wrong at this, considering you've exhausted a TON of options. I could recommend a reinstall of the OS, but even that seems a little extreme for the situation considering you can live without it.

I've had Windows XP since it came out, and have only had to reinstall it on one computer. I kept getting blue screens, which of course would screw up the registry, and my reinstalls only added to the number of nearly identical user account directories on the computer. Turns out the fan on my graphics card had quit, and it was overheating! Random error messages in the blue screens didn't help, but I began to see a pattern where the errors came out to be more video-related than others. Since then, I always check hardware in the rare event I get a blue screen, and I've never screwed up anything bad enough that I've had to reinstall any Windows since then.

But I have to tell you...it's tempting!!

Actually, I now recall I was on my second XP install on my old motherboard, only because I had upgraded the hard drive and figured, hey, why not just start over and redo the whole thing, start fresh, upgrade some other apps and do it all up proper this time. That lasted me for several years...but I did not need to do it. I know some who get any errors at all and then reinstall Windows each time. Either that or they get it so badly infested with malware that there is no other choice. (I did that as a favor for a client once, in fact.)

Anyway, I agree. I've tried almost everything short of a reinstall. Thing is, I know there is an additional layer in the OS (or maybe just the IE subsystem) that is preventing access through IE and related utilities (like the desktop widgets), but allows other internet software to work just fine. That's what is broken. The frustrating part is that there isn't anything being logged that shows an error (including event logging, where these types of errors should be appearing...logs that normal consumers would not be aware of).

I just had a thought, something Saltgrass just posted...

Back
Top Bottom