Windows 8 Partition Corrupted

antros48

Hi all,
I have a big problem with my partition. Using minipartition wizard software i separated my main HDD to 3 different partitions. The two of them are working correctly booting into windows 8.1 and xp. The third one is the most crucial cause it contains all the data from my university. Unfortunately after expanding this partition another 10 GB i realised that some files were showing 0 KB and were unable to open while some others show the normal size but still cannot open! I almost cry when i saw that..!! Any help appreciated a lot!
Thanks

Most important thing is that you do not make any changes to the drive - do not create, delete any files or folders and do not try to make any further changes to the partition.

Download a copy of Recuva, free from here:

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

Run it to try and recover files from the damaged partition storing any recovered files on another partition. Your chances of success are dependent on the nature of the corruption.

It's a bit late now but you should always backup all data of any importance to an external drive.

It's also worthrunning a copy of chkdsk - you need to open a command prompt and run:

chkdsk X: (where X is the letter of the problem drive.).

You might also attach a picture of your Disk Management picture. It might help us see what could be wrong.

Is there some reason you needed to use a third party partitioning software instead of the Windows Disk Management utility?

Thank you for the response. I tried using recuva but the program showed up almost half million of results and the names was completely different than normal. I also tried checkdisk utility but nothing also.
The reason i used a third party application is because of it's excellent reviews and i didn't think that a bad one may occur to me..
My only hope is to contact dropbox team to ask them to recover my dropbox account to the state it was 6 months ago, although for the non paid users the time of recoverable time is one month.. If they agree i might become one of their paid member!
Is there any other thought to do?

As I suspected it sounds almost certain that the damage/corruption has been to directories/indices file recovery is not a solution (although worth trying). Dropbox sounds like not only your best chance but your only chance. I'm sure that you will now the taking steps to setup a sound backup strategy - I've got data and development etc all secured going back over 40 years.

Hi all,
I have a big problem with my partition. Using minipartition wizard software i separated my main HDD to 3 different partitions. The two of them are working correctly booting into windows 8.1 and xp. The third one is the most crucial cause it contains all the data from my university. Unfortunately after expanding this partition another 10 GB i realised that some files were showing 0 KB and were unable to open while some others show the normal size but still cannot open! I almost cry when i saw that..!! Any help appreciated a lot!
Thanks

If you're using free license, you may need professional license to recover it.

Check how to get it free here.

https://giveaway.rmvalues.com/minitool-partition-wizard-professional-license-giveaway/

thanks for the reply. You mean that the professional license gives you the ability to recover your files? Is there any way to recover my system restore points??

Hi

As someone else suggested using a Linux boot disk has a slim chance of seeing your files, since it's not using the Windows data to see the storage location and file configuration.

If the files them selves are OK and it's only the data showing them in Windows that's damaged then Linux may be able to read them.

Make a Ubuntu disk and boot your computer from it, navigate to the file location and see if they are there, Ubuntu will have a file manger similar to the one in Windows that will see the drive structure and file locations.

Get Ubuntu | Download | Ubuntu

If you can find the files try copying them to a DVD or Flash Drive.

Also as someone else suggested, never have important files on only one physical hard drive.
Sooner or later something always happens.

My computer has been struck by lightning, Twice!

Good Luck.

Yeah; I saw that too when your Post popped up. I didn't always check the OP post date when I first started here too. That's Pat's subtle way of telling you you're responding to a really old Post. It's still useful, but generally not for the OP as they have either solved the problem or moved on or got another solution from a different forum or took to his local repair shop and paid money to a Tech to sort it out for him.
Sometimes when it's late and I'm sorting through new posts, I'll even attempt to post onto a subject that's been solved or locked or both! Been there done that. ;)

Cheers! :D:teeth:
BBJ

I get sucked into these too.
I get an email click the "Go to this post" button and post without looking at the dates. LOL

Mike

Back