Windows Vista Partition Nightmare

Hi All

I plugged in a 160gb NTFS hot swappable that has 3 partitions on it. I unplugged the 160gb and plugged in my 1 terrabyte HDD NTFS hot swappable in the same sata port etc.

Now this where the problem lies, my 1 terrabyte now shows that it has the same 3 partitions as the 160gb and 840gb unpartitioned space. It should just be 1 partition of 1 terrabyte. Iv rebooted the pc several times with 1 terrabyte connected / not connected, safemode etc. and its doesnt want to go back to normal. Vista also says i need to format the volume. I dont want to lose my data on it.
It is almost as if vista cached the 160HDD partition setup to the 1 terrabyte HDD.

Is there some corrupted file somewhere or something that has changed? or a utility that i can use?

I have Vista Ultimate 64 SP1 installed.

Thanx

Is it possible to do a reboot inbetween swapping the drives?

Thanks for the reply, how ever the problem is not that the data is being cached, it's that in that specific instance it appears to have been and therefore has actually written CHANGES to the 1000gb.

A complete shutdown and startup with ONLY the 1000gb drive plugged in shows the 160's partition info now. My single 1000gb partition is gone

Back