Windows 10 Passwords

Jim B

I have removed log-in password requirement (netplwz > uncheck password requirement). Then when I reboot, the password is no longer required. However, if I log off (ctrl-alt-del), a password is required to log back in. I have Windows 10, and the issue occurs on both my HP and Lenovo PC's. How do I eliminate the password requirement for log-off (ctrl-alt-del) function. Jim B

Short of removing your password there probably isn't an option, but having no password is a bad idea. I'd suggest at least setting a pin, these can be as short as 4 numbers.

I second @Neemobeer. A lot of people are trying to do this, and it is not sound advice. Primarily, the lock screen has a security function. It is not just there to annoy you. Many years ago with Windows XP, before the lock screen, systems were easily compromised. In some cases, it was possible to forge the login dialogue box on a compromised machine. You will never be able to use network shares properly if you disable the lock screen because you are basically clearing an account that has administrative access of having a password. This can lead to elevation of privilege compromise if you download potentially malicious software, even accidentally. Because your computer is now perpetually online, you can have major problems by overriding the default security measures. I really have to recommend against doing this. Your account should have a password, even if it is something simple.

If the perpetrator of your problem is annoying ads on the lock screen in Windows 10, what you can do is go to Search -> Lock Screen Settings and change it from Windows Spotlight to something else. Also disable "Get fun facts, tips, tricks, and more on your lock screen".

I understand the password need, but am perplexed as to why the restart and log-off mechanisms are different. Is there an explanation? JB

Back
Top Bottom