Windows 10 Patch Tuesday

holdum333

Banned
Hi ! Strange things happened today on patch Tuesday. I noticed some icons missing on my desk top. Started looking for the reason. I discovered that my C drive had gained 20+ GB's. Why would it do that? I discovered that Windows had installed W10 on my PC. That's strange because I have had a working W10 OS for for a long time now. Any way I now have my missing Apps back and I cleaned all the trash off my C drive and got my 20+ GB's back. Has anyone else had this experience or know why this happened. I guess MS wanted to make sure I up graded to W10. Thank you MS, but I already up graded to W10.:l:
Thanks!
PS! I know you will have a reply @Neemobeer ;)

Last edited:
It could be a new build release. Enable show system files and see if you have a folder C:\$Windows.~BT or C:\$Windows.WS. You can also use du.exe to narrow down what folders are taking up space. Disk Usage

Hi @Neemobeer I forgot how to tell which build I have. I think you nailed it about being a new build. Not worried about Disk Usage. That's a good program however!. Thanks for your reply!

Hi I think I found it! Is this the latest build??
Capture48.JPG

I guess I'm good to go then?? Thanks for your replies friend! I 'm on my second bourbon, so it's about my bed time.
Thanks for your help.

Hi

I got the same thing this morning, I thought it was just going to be an update and it reinstalled the whole thing.

I didn't have time to sit down and see if I can tell what's different today, like if it fixed Cortana or anything like that.

I'll try and figure it out tomorrow.

The extra 20 Gigabytes on your hard drive was the Windows.old file it created during the install.
Mine is just about 20 Gigabytes too.

Mike

Hi @MikeHawthorne ! Thanks for your reply! Yes I got rid of the 20GB's. It was a surprise to me also. All seems to be well now.
If it goes crazy, I always have my good old Macrium Reflect to restore back to!;)

I'm confuse (easily done). Are you guys chatting about insider builds/updates?. I have s deserted that, but I have had that build for a little while now??

See Kemical's post:
Windows 10 update history

Hi! @davehc I have read @kemical 's post! My PC just up graded yesterday. I have no clue what MS does, nor why they do it!
My PC upgraded to the new build as shown in my replies in this thread! I have been running W10 for a long time.
PS Your not the only one confused. I stay confused. Welcome to the club of confused!:rofl:

Well, that is the source of my confusion. The update should not have been , for you guys, a complete reinstall??

This is the description:
"If you have installed previous updates, only the new fixes that are contained in this package will be downloaded and installed to your computer. If you are installing a Windows 10 update package for the first time, the package for the x86 version is 383 MB and the package for the x64 version is 645 MB."

Hi @davehc I have had the W10 up grade for a very long time. I used the MCT to up grade my W7to W10.
IMHO MS up dated a completely new build on patch Tuesday. I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box, but it sure seemed like it was a new up grade build to me, or install . My computer vocabulary leaves a lot to be be desired. Patch Tuesday installed a different W10 on my PC as far as I'm concerned.;);):(
It looks different and it works different!

It sure looks like MS installed a new build on patch Tuesday on My PC!;);):( It's my bed time! I'll continue this tomorrow if you need more info. just ask and I'll give it my best shot!
Capture48.JPG

Hi

I'm showing version 10586.164 now.
I'm not sure what it was before the reinstall.

Windows%20Version_zpsktk4ubqy.jpg

I have no idea why it completely reinstalled Windows but things are working better then before the update.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom