Windows 7 PC suddenly runnign slow

bc320

I need some help with my PC. Over the past 3 to 6 months it has gotten weird. I have a HP I purchased at a store just over a year ago.
I am running Windows 7 64bit.
Specs: OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Version 6.1.7601
Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
System Model AY748AA-ABA p6320y
System Type x64-based PC Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 820 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 5.13, 11/12/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.75 GB
Available Physical Memory 5.60 GB
Total Virtual Memory 15.5 GB
Available Virtual Memory 13.4 GB

I have some games (Spore, Sid Meier’s Railroads) that worked great on this machine after I got it. The machine more then meets the specs. I could play for as long as I want and have no issues. Now I open either game and after about 5-10 minutes it is like the machine is overwhelmed with process. My CPU usage and ram goes up to 100% and everything is slow. When I click on a button to get a menu it takes 3-5 seconds for the menu to come up and then another 3-5 seconds for the mouse to move to the menu so I can select an option.

So far I have made sure all my drivers are current, I have cleaned the registry with 2 different cleaners, I have removed all unnecessary programs from starting, I have tracked down process I determined to be non-essential and made sure those don’t run, I have tweaked Windows to use less recourse (I should not need to do this now), I have removed unneeded programs, I have defragged, I have cleaned unneeded files, I have run Microsoft malware scanner (forget the name, no problems found), I have run Kaspersky 2011 in a deep scan and a critical area scan (nothing found), I even got one of those “Speed Up My PC” programs (I know garbage program) because I am so frustrated but that didn’t do anything. I don’t want to F disk it because I have too much data I need to keep.

In another forum someone suggested a bug exists in the windows updater and to turn off auto updates. I did that but still have the problem.
Thanks

1 Person had
this question

BenCarlson
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:
bc320;
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Sounds like you've already done a lot of work trying to track down the problem. I would suggest adding Process Explorer to your diagnostic tool kit.
They have a forum which may help you here and some help for new users here which may help you as well.
Basically it's a task manager on steroids which will let you see processes that might be claiming large amounts of your available resources.

As Trouble suggests, Process Explorer is a good tool to use to find problems on a system.

You also have Windows 7 utilities that might be helpful to start. Task Manager might help identify some item taking up the processor time. You can check the CPU column to see which one it might be. But it only goes so far, and if some process inside of what Task Manager shows is causing it, you might need Process Explorer to determine what it is.

Also the Resource Monitor can be helpful. It shows many areas of system performance at once so you can see if the disk is being accessed, or the network, or some process is taking a large amount of processor time.

But as you explore these areas, post back with questions. I have been using Process Explorer for a while.

I have tried nearly everything listed above and cannot figure this out. The problem is with programs, like games, that use a lot of graphics. I haven't noticed it with Firefox or streaming movies, but then again I don't do that a lot this computer. I usually download them and watch them on my TV. So I need opinions. This machine is about 1.5 years old. What is the likelihood that the on-board graphics card is going bad?

Not very likely.

Here's some suggestions:
Take out all the things you have added that mess w/ the Registry.
Switch Kapersky to MSE
Run Malwarebytes
Run CHKDSK /r/f (in cmd)
Run sfc scannow (in cmd)
In cmd as Admin do the following:
Type in cleanmgr sageset:1
Hit Enter
Window comes up, check all boxes, hit OK
Type in cleanmgr sagerun:1
Hit Enter
Internet Options - hit Delete & Delete
Run CCleaner

After doing all this, please let me know if things are faster. HPs come bundled w/ a lot of stuff that slows machines down, too.

Stay away from any P2P stuff.

Regards,
Drew

MSE = Microsoft Security Essentials

Arguably the best security available. 100% FREE, fully automated & BOTH A-V and A-M

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Back
Top Bottom