Windows 7 PC upgrades

03hdfatboy

Banned
I'm planning on a few upgrades..
Going with a 24" Acer, gonna put my 22" on Frank-n-Stine. An ASUS 3870x2 V/C Taking 1of the X1950XTX in Frank-n-Stine the other in the wifes. 8Gb of RAM and adding a 500Gb Seagate HD.

8GB of RAM!!!! Man that things gonna fly
jumping-smiley-001.gif

I'm planning on a few upgrades..
Going with a 24" Acer, gonna put my 22" on Frank-n-Stine. An ASUS 3870x2 V/C Taking 1of the X1950XTX in Frank-n-Stine the other in the wifes. 8Gb of RAM and adding a 500Gb Seagate HD.

What are you needing 8GB of Ram for? How often will your system actually need to use that much?

What are you needing 8GB of Ram for? How often will your system actually need to use that much?
Well I do use the 64bit Vista and have seen when using 4Gb the usage go over 60% :eek:
I'm also using a 4Gb sandisk for readyboost and have yet seen where it actually does anything.

Hmm....Apparently Readyboost only really works when you have a small amount of RAM, say 512MB. If you already have 4GB then it's not going to work...

I got my refund from Corsair and this is what I'm ordering first thing Monday

Seagate Barracuda 1TB/32MB Cache
G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR2 1000
ASUS Radeon HD 3870 X2

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I got my refund from Corsair and this is what I'm ordering first thing Monday

Seagate Barracuda 1TB/32MB Cache
G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR2 1000
ASUS Radeon HD 3870 X2

You should not need to upgrade again for quite some time with that spec.!!!!!!!!!!

I got it today :D
Got the ram installed HD installed, cloned and is now my primary and my old 400Gb is disconnected but still has Vista installed just in case
V/C... that's a different story :mad: It is ALMOST too LONG! if it were another 1mm it would not fit. :eek: Anyway I installed it and my PC will not Post :confused:
I'm tired and fixin' to go to bed, I'll deal with it tomorrow.

Glad you got it sorted... Come November/December I'm thinking of going over to ATI and getting a 4870 as price compared to performance blows the Nvidia offering away. Coupled with a 45nm quad and a new mobo I'll be able to upgrade for around £400. Then with the parts I'm using now I'll build another machine and sell that for £200 (which isn't bad for a 3.2GHz dual-core chip and a 8800GTS) so all in all if everything goes to plan then this years upgrade will be relatively inexpensive..:cool:

Glad you got it sorted... Come November/December I'm thinking of going over to ATI and getting a 4870 as price compared to performance blows the Nvidia offering away. Coupled with a 45nm quad and a new mobo I'll be able to upgrade for around £400. Then with the parts I'm using now I'll build another machine and sell that for £200 (which isn't bad for a 3.2GHz dual-core chip and a 8800GTS) so all in all if everything goes to plan then this years upgrade will be relatively inexpensive..:cool:
I hear ya
spare no expence!!!

Here's my shot.. As you can see I have mine clocked a tad too....:cool:

Runs great too... It will clock well past that too but obviously I want the card to have some longevity so I keep it where it is.. In fact I've never really pushed it to see how far it will go as I'm satisfied with what it delivers already..

Back
Top Bottom