PC will no longer read SD Card

First post - please be gentle :)

My desktop PC (Win7 Pro, 64 bit) has 2 SD Card readers. One built in to the PC itself, the other, a slot on the side of my Dell monitor. Both of these - until last week - would read and write to my SD cards with no problem. Cards ranging in size from 1 to 16Gb. Both readers worked fine with SDHC cards.

NOW, when I insert a card, I hear the usual "bing-bong" to signify that I've inserted a removable disk and the Windows "Safely Remove Hardware" icon becomes available. But if I double-click on the disk/drive in Explorer it tells me to insert a removable disk into that particular letter.

I've also determined that Windows know that there's *something* in the drive, as Disk Manager shows a drive of the correct size, with the partition type marked as RAW.

The cards themselves are fine - they work perfectly well in my cameras, and more importantly, they work perfectly fine in my laptop's SD Card reader.

So something in Windows has gone wrong - but what? Something that's caused 2 totally different readers to fail simultaneously. I've removed and reinstalled both readers with known good drivers and that hasn't sorted it. I even tried to format (in Disk Manager) one of the cards but it did nothing, just sat there for ages. Taking that card to the other PC or a camera it then formats just fine in just a few seconds. And still doesn't work in my desktop PC.

Any ideas or help would be gratefully tried!

Steven

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.