PCI Standard Host CPU Bridge driver needed

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Hardware' started by CAGW, Jun 23, 2011.

1. CAGW

CAGW New Member

Hi guys.

i’ve been having some BSOD probs... and i’m told the first thing to do is update ALL my drivers.

i’ve managed to do this, with the exception of one driver. It’s a driver for ‘PCI Standard Host CPU Bridge’.

does anyone know where i can download the latest version of this driver? the version i have is 6.1.7601.17514 - which is dated 21.6.2006. i can't find anywhere where i can download a newer version of this for win 7 64 bit.

Some spec info (more in my profile):

Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop
    64 Bit Windows 7 Home Premium (SP1)
    Intel Core i5 2.27 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    Motherboard: Dell 0TKV96
    BIOS: Dell A13 (released 29.3.11)

i would really appreciate any help on this. I’m sure someone else must have had this issue – as i’m not the only win 7 64 bit user to ever update all their drivers.
    I asked this question on http://www.sevenforums.com and got literally no help at all... so like i say, it would be appreciated!

2. nmsuk

nmsuk Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

That a standard Microsoft driver, I have the same driver version so I wouldn't worry about it as that's the correct version.

3. CAGW

CAGW New Member

thanks for the reply.

the reason i thought it was out of date is cos i downloaded Driver Detective - and that program told me it needed updating.

4. nmsuk

oh never use those driver detective things they cause way more trouble than they can ever solve. Are you still getting BSODs?

5. CAGW

CAGW New Member

yeah i am. they come with the message 'BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER'.

i reinstalled windows and i'm still getting them, so i guess it's a hardware issue. do you have any idea which piece of hardware would cause it?

6. nmsuk

Can you post your minidumps and ill have a look through them for you.

7. CAGW

CAGW New Member

the minidumps are attached. as i said, i only just reinstalled windows so there are only 3 of them!

also - the latest one of the three came with a different message: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

however, all other bsods before and after the reinstall have carried the message BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER.

thanks again for your help

Attached Files:

#7 CAGW, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  8. nmsuk

One bsod was caused by ntokernel.exe the rest though are usb related. What usb devices are you using. Can you remove them and then ad them back one at a time to see if we can trace which ones doing this.

9. CAGW

CAGW New Member

the only ones ive used since the reinstall are my standalone hard drive, a memory stick, and my mouse.

how do i remove a usb device?

10. nmsuk

Try running the machine without the usb standalone HDD ad usb stick for awhile and see if that helps. I doubt it's the mouse but I definitely think it's the hard disk. Whilst checking online most of the results I found pointed to a USB HDD being the problem.

11. CAGW

CAGW New Member

thanks, i will try that.

i should point out that i don't have the external drive / mem stick plugged in on a regular basis - they are only plugged in when i need to back something up.

so the bsods happen when they are not plugged in. only the mouse is plugged in when bsods occur.

so i guess im wondering if a usb device can cause bsod even when it's not actually plugged in?

12. nmsuk

As this is happening with only the mouse plugged in do have a different mouse you can try and if it still does it, I'd say it's problem with the usb port your using. You could also try using a different port for the mouse as a quick test.

13. CAGW

CAGW New Member

i dont have another mouse, but i will try using the mouse in a different port and see what happens. thanks so much for your help on this one, i'll report back with the results

14. Michael Dreher

I'm having a similar issue if anyone could help