Windows 7 Permissions problem

colinireland

Hello,

I have a problem that I can't figure out. I was messing around on my girlfriends laptop and seem to have messed up the permissions on her account. She is an administrator but creating a new account doesn't seem to solve this. A warning message saying "Windows cannot access the specified file or path. You may not have permissions to access it", or something to that effect comes up everytime I try to access the CD drive or try to run certain programs. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Colin

Hi Colin, have you considered trying 'system restore' and reverting the system back to a time before you changed things?

Hello,

I have a problem that I can't figure out. I was messing around on my girlfriends laptop and seem to have messed up the permissions on her account. She is an administrator but creating a new account doesn't seem to solve this. A warning message saying "Windows cannot access the specified file or path. You may not have permissions to access it", or something to that effect comes up everytime I try to access the CD drive or try to run certain programs. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Colin

She may have restricted the cd drive with a special software like Norton System Works or restricted it manually by modifying windows registry, so even her admin account will block you until she unlocks the drive.

Back