Windows 7 Phenom II

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Well it arrived today and I've been messing with it since... I was really impressed with the retail cooler that comes with the chip although it needed lapping. I've been trying various settings and have only pushed it to 3.4GHz for the moment, in fact here's a screenie...

I'll do some more tweaking later but for now I'm going to spend a few hours 'burning in'..

Edit:
I've now put my old Scythe samurai cooler back on as it works a few degrees cooler- Idle=32c@800MHz/[email protected]
(The 800MHz is the 'Cool&Quiet' driver kicking in and throttling the CPU back)

I guy I work with just bought one and he loves it. Got it up to 3.6 on air :p He is trying to talk me into getting one but I can't.. I Love my new DFI Mobo.

But I do have a new CPU in my very near future :eek:.. but I'm not gonna jack your thread ;)

I agree completely Kemical, the Phenom II CPU's are f*ck*ng awesome! :) I absolutely love my Phenom II 955 BE 3.2GHZ CPU! It is by far the best processor I've owned in a long time.. And I have owned a few different Core 2 Duo's.. ;) This one definitely kicks their a$$es..

I haven't overclocked mine yet either, I want to make sure it's "burned in" good before I start pushing it.. I suspect once we overclock them we won't be disappointed with the results.. :)

I have to admit that I've totally fallen for my 'quaddie'... It runs beautiful at 3.6GHz with just a 0.050 increase on the CPU voltage (1.36 Default/1.42 overclocked) . It would run at 3.8 (on air) but would be very warm and I'd also have to seriously ramp up the voltage. Anyway, benchmarking has proved that the 'sweet spot' is 3.4-3.6GHz with little or no gains above that..

I bet you'll be good for at least 3.6GHz and the awesome thing is, it only takes a quick change of the multiplier to achieve the overclock... What cooler have you got it running under?

I dabbled a bit with noob level overclockin on mine about 6 months ago and got it to 3.6ghz on air without breaching 55C at full load...however I'm not brave enough to fiddle with voltages or leave it on that constantly...lol I was merely testing it for a few days to see the rough idea...oddly the main reason was to see what more could be done with GTA4's framerates...guess what....didnt gain so much as 1fps extra from a 1.2ghz boost per core!!! clearly the game is capped on purpose cos never goes over 50% cpu useage, I guess Rockstar were careful to stop the PC version making the console editions look like gameboy grade graphics....lol

Last edited:
That chip loves to be overclocked highwayman! Some would say that your not truly getting your moneys worth unless you apply that little overclock.. Don't forget that up to a certain point a overhead is already built into the chip and components ect to allow for differences in area domestic supply. This is usually about 0.050 on the chip voltage... I don't really mess with the other voltages apart from RAM and thats only when I'm giving it a serious overclock..

sadly my mobo is a total pig for overclocking as the ram speed is locked to the cpu multiplyer grrrr.....so I have to underclock ram then overclock via cpu stupid assed thing....lol

Still a good system though... When are you thinking of upgrading or aren't you?

All I'm thinking of doing for now is slapping in a dx11 GPU just after Xmas....then prehaps up the mobo to a p55 and 16gb ddr3....found a p55 that does 775 rather than the i7 ones....so thats most likely upgrade plan from now to easter, doubt i'll upgrade the cpu for another year or so...nothing really stresses quads yet.

Yup sounds good...

I think thats pretty much the way I'll be going... New card next year but for the rest...it'll do for a while and even if did upgrade to the latest spec I wouldn't see that much difference really..
Another reason to wait is that USB 3.0 is just round the corner too......:cool:

Back