Playing Blu-Ray discs on my Windows 7 laptop

I just bought my first movie on Blu-Ray format and put it in the built in Blu-Ray Player on my ASUS Quad Core laptop running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OS.

Got this error message: "Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD. The disc was created in a manner that the Player does not support." There was a tab for "Web Help" so I hit it and got a lot of nothing from Microsoft.

How can I play Blu-Ray discs on my laptop?

Cordially, Bob Kiger

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
To the best of my knowledge there is no native support for Blu-Ray within Windows 7, it's a Sony owned proprietary format and according to what I've read, would have increased the cost of Windows 7, some $30 per license, so while much talked about was never to my knowledge included in the RTM.
So I would have thought that ASUS would have bundled some type of Third Party Software like WinDVD or something else to support playing Blu-Ray, but if not you may need to resort to purchasing such a program there are plenty that fill the bill (Cyberlink, Roxio, Nero, Corel, etc), I would suggest looking here to make sure that the product is Win7 compatable or even better logo'd Windows 7 Compatibility Center software browse results - Photo & Video - CD/DVD Utilities
Maybe even a call or email, to your vendor or ASUS may provide some help.

powerdvd ultra

hi I had similar disappointing results from W7 and blue ray, and the only effective way round it is to use someone elses software, more money of course, I use PowerDVD ultra. It works fine.

I followed the link to the list of Windows 7 certified [and not certified] Blu-Ray players and am honing in on two. PowerDVD and WinDVD. Way down the list is SONY Vegas which is, in reality, a high powered video editing suite. Since SONY owns the Blu-Ray patent rights, I guess they stay out of the player business to allow others to make software "machines" so they can collect royalties? !

Thanks for the pointers. I will be back to report when I purchase the player.

Bob Kiger - Videography Lab

I chose PowerDVD Ultra and it works quite well. Thanks to all.

Bob Kiger - Videography Lab

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Bob:
Thanks for letting us know what you decided to use to resolve your issue. Any other issues, let us know
Randy

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.