Windows 7 Please help! How to bypass updates at startup? Windows thinks it has 30000 updates to do, crashes at

Sammy

Hi,
I'd really appreciate some help here! I'm desperate. Thanks!
Yesterday my computer was going slow, so I restarted it. When it wad shutting down, it said that it was applying updates to Windows (it was an official Windows Update screen, ie "configuring updates" etc).
Then on starting up, just after the animation I see "Applying update 2 of 29,887", and then it crashes. It shows a blue screen for a split second (too fast to read) and restarts.
Safe mode stalls on Classpnp.sys. I have not plugged in any new devices or done anything else new with the computer. I didn't even know that I had background updating turned on, which must be the case because System Restore says I've been installing critical updates a couple times a week.
I tried the recovery CD, didn't work. System restore didn't work. I don't have any backup images. I can boot into a second OS on the same computer, and modify the messed up OS from there, but I don't know what to do. I already tried replacing the registry files in system32/config with those from the regbackup folder, which were from a week before, but that didn't work.
I'd really like to know if I can modify any files so that the OS skips "applying updates" on startup. Then if I can get into the OS I can do a lot more from there.

Thanks a lot!!

Hi,

I'd really like to know if I can modify any files so that the OS skips "applying updates" on startup. Then if I can get into the OS I can do a lot more from there.

Thanks a lot!!

Please try to rename your update folder.
To do so open notepad and typ in:

net stop wuauserv
cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
ren Download Download.old​
net start wuauserv​

Save this file on the desktop as:Rename.bat
(be sure you enabled ALL FILE types)

Run the file on the corrupted OS

restart

At that moment no updates should hinder further startup any more, but automatic updates still works. So be sure to find out where the mess is comming from, otherwise on next startup you will be on point 1 again.

Hope this helps,

regards, Mast

Back
Top Bottom