Windows 7 Please Help - Microsoft Outlook 2007 Question....

MattMyatt

My old computer is about to die, so I decided to get a new laptop that came installed with Windows 7. When I installed Office 2007 everything went fine & I went to transfer over my Outlook.pst file from the old computer to the new one & I can not find a .pst file anywhere on Windows 7.

Is there a way to get the emails that are on your old computer to outlook in your new computer? I need to be able to bring them across.

Please help!!!

Matt

A PST file (personal storage) is a personal folder file in Microsoft Outlook. In order to have a .pst file, it is necessary to have at least 1 outlook profile.

C:\Users\N A M E\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\*.pst

To (re-)create a copy of your whole .pst file:

1. Close any messaging programs such as Outlook, Microsoft Exchange, or Microsoft Windows Messaging.

2. Click Start > Control Panel.

3. Double-click the Mail icon.

4. Click Show Profiles.

5. Click the appropriate profile, and then click Properties.

6. Click Data Files.

7. Under Name, click the Personal Folders Service that you want to back up. By default, this service is called Personal Folders. However, it may be named something else.

Note If you have more than one Personal Folders Service in your profile, you must back up each set of .pst files separately.

8. Click Settings, and then note the path and file name that appears.

9. Close all the Properties windows.

10. Use Windows Explorer or My Computer to copy the file that you noted in step 8. You can copy the file to another location on the hard disk drive or to any kind of removable storage media, such as a floppy disk, a CD-ROM, a portable hard disk drive, a magnetic tape cassette, or any other storage device.

How to manage .pst files in Outlook 2007, in Outlook 2003, and in Outlook 2002

I have a copy of my .pst file on my external hard drive, but where do I put in when I try to load in onto my new computer with Windows 7?

First be careful, about just putting a Outlook.pst file into the default location, you might want to rename it first so it doesn't overwrite the existing one, unless that is what you want to do
The default location on windows 7 for the outlook.pst files is
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
You will have to enable the Show hidden files, folders and drives radio button click the down arrow next to the word "Organize"
select folder and search options and then the view tab
hope this helps

Back