Windows 7 Please help.

ToB

Hey guys, I am having a terrible internet problem. I have a good PC with Windows 7 installed, but the internet seems to work whenever it feels like it. When I trouble shoot all the problems it usually says no problems detected, the odd time it will say it fixed an access point, which in actuality, fixed nothing. In the bottom right it still shows the 4/5 bars connection, as if nothing is wrong, but trying all 4 browsers I've got, nothing works, it just says sending request. I did a cmd ping test to Google, and got the 4 responses and 51 ms time, it feels like something is interfering with my browsers, but when I try to run WoW (an online based game), it does not work either. Right now I am on my laptop running Vista, the internet here is working flawlessly whilst useless on my PC. I have tried a lot of fixes, if somebody would help me, I'd be very happy.

The first thing I would do is to make sure that PC is not infected w/Virus's, malware, spyware of some kind. Then I would uninstall each browser and reinstall, then check if your issue persists.

ToB;
Hello and welcome to the forums.
In addition to what bassfisher6522 has already suggest.
Open taskmanager and on the processes tab click the button at the bottom that says "Show processes for all users" check and see if you have a process called mDNSresponder.exe running if you do then open the services console by typing
services.msc
into the search or run box and hit enter
look for either
Bonjour Service or
a string near or at the top of the service console that looks something like this
##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##
your's may be slightly different
if either or both are found
double click them and set the startup type to disabled and click the stop button
you shouldn't need to restart, but it won't hurt, see if that helps and keep us posted.
Regards
Randy

Ok, I haven't really looked for Malware yet, I know I have 1 that redirects Google results, some Rootkit. But my internet has worked well with it. I might go ahead and try Malwarebytes again. I also disabled the Bonjour service, my internet the pat week, (the problem week) is good and fast for 10 minutes, then non working for 30, good and fast for 10....and so on. After disabling Bonjour it is consistently terrible, but does not turn off. I brought my PC right to the modem and it's still slow, didn't plug in an ethernet 'cause I couldn't find one. Still, I wouldn't be able to use it there. My laptop from a greater distance has my normal internet, good n fast.

Well if you have or even suspect an infection (especially a rootkit) you should first address that issue and make sure that your PC is malware and virus free before proceeding any further because you could end up chasing your tail and attempting any number of fixes, that the malicious software would circumvent.
A complete scan with
Malwarebytes
SuperAntiSpyware
and Spybot Search and Destory, after downloading (free versions), installing and updating all three, reboot your computer into safemode and run (full scans) all three simultaneously.
Additionally what AntiVirus program are you using? You might try Microsoft Security Essentials, it's likewise free. Just don't add a second AntiVirus. If you have confidence in yours (and at this point I'm not sure why you would) stick with it, but you might find that a different solution will produce different results.

Alright, I tried SuperAntiSpyware which found nothing, and Malewarebytes found and killed a trojanagent.GGE. The problem yet persists, inconsistent, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes nothing.

The way you are descirbing it it sounds like an issue with unreliable communications between your adapter and your router.
Can you advise as to
The Manufacturer, Model Name, Model Number and Revision Number of the adapter that you are using
and
The Manufacturer, Model Name, Model Number and Revision Number of the Wireless Radio/Router you are using?
In the mean time type
ncpa.cpl
into the search or run box and hit enter
select then right click the problem adapter and choose properties
In the box labeled This connection uses the following items:
Uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6
Ok your way back out of there, reboot your computer and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Ok, I did the IvP6 thing, didn't help. My Network card is D-Link DWA-552 XtremeN Desktop Card, and my Router is a Rogers(my ISP) SMCD3GN.

EDIT: And also, during the period of this whole problem, my router has a DS light, up till now it has been green, during the past week or so(when the problem started), it has turned Blue.

Last edited:
According to what I'm reading the Blue DS light is just an indication that the device is "synchronized on more that 1 channel (DS Bond mode)". Check with your ISP to confirm also double check with them to see if there is a recent firmware update for that particular device and or any known issues with Windows 7 and your particular wireless adapter.
Also check here Windows 7 Compatibility for D-Link DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Wireless Network Adapter: D-Link. Drivers, Updates, Downloads it looks like we might be up against a wall here regarding that particular adapter and Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit).
According to D-Link here Link Removed due to 404 Error they have a driver 8/31/2010) which supposedly works with Windows 7 but you may actually want to try the support resources, (forum, knowledge base, intelligent chat, or phone (1.877.453.5465) to get some current input as to your issue.
Good luck and please keep us posted as to how you are progressing.
Regards
Randy

Unfortunately, it wasn't. If it helps, it has a pattern, when I diagnose/repair, it works great for about 2 minutes. afterwards dropping completely, after about a minute of that, it starts to work again, terribly slow.

Back
Top Bottom