Windows 7 Please help...

bdwalley

I have had a problem downloading programs in windows 7 since switching over from Windows XP. I'm not real computor literate so bear with me.
The issue revolves around installing new programs. For example I am currently trying to install Bodog...a online poker service but whenever I try to download then run I get a message that says "download contained a virus" and the process stops right there. It does the same on ALL downloads...ie AVG/updates fail/any email attachment I try to open/ all programs I try to install.
Come on be my hero and help a old man out....please.

Thanks for responding...but....ANY program I try to install will result in the same message...even programs installed on another computor with no problem.

Thanks for responding...but....ANY program I try to install will result in the same message...even programs installed on another computor with no problem.

I think what davehc might be saying in AVG MIGHT be what is preventing programs from downloading. I myself have had this problem using AVG (which I no longer use) on my old XP systems. It's worth a shot you can always reinstall AVG.

Are you showing any error messages in the Event Viewer?

Have you tried running a System File check? Open an administrative command prompt and type SFC /scannow followed by enter and let it work.

Has AVG always been on your system, or did you add it for some specific reason?

You might be able to run a virus checker from a flash drive. Does AVG have such options or downloads you could retrieve on another system?

Also for the AVG install it is best to get the AVG uninstaller. Since you are having issues installing programs you might try safe mode and see if that helps. Other wise if you have access to another PC you may have to download it there any move it to your PC.

Just make sure whatever AV app you settle on (I use MSE as well) is up to date because the sites you are regularly visiting are known sites that chronically contain viruses and malware. Good luck keeping your PC clean because there are no AV apps that will catch 100% of the nasties out there.

Back