Windows 7 plz help

linkasingh

i want to install 64 bit windows 7 beta
previously i have windows vista and i have also recovery discs of that

i want to know if i install windows 7 and if it will crash my system then can i recover my windows vista

and tell me in which drive i should install it
i have divided my hard drive into two drives c: and d:
c: is drive in which vista is installed

i say go for D as it is a beta system. (even tho i use it now as my main operating system). and i dont think you can go back if you install it on top of your vista

Last edited:
Ok first of all could you please let us know your system specs, that way we'll have a better idea as to what problems you may or may not encounter when installing Windows 7. Alot of people, myself included, have installed both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Win 7 with no problems at all. Though there have been some issues for some people. but that is to be expected as Windows 7 is in BETA stages and one should almost expect at LEAST one issue when using Beta software. ;) Also, where did you obtain your copy of Win 7? And which program did you use to burn the ISO to a DVD? Is your copy of Vista 64 Bit? These are all things that will help us give you the answers your looking for.. :)

You said you've partitioned your hard drive into 2 sections. C: and D: . With Vista being on the C: , alright so your looking to dual boot than? If so and your running a fairly modern system, than you shouldn't have any problems or at least no major issues. All you would have to do is boot from your Windows 7 DVD and do a clean install onto your D: partition. Once the install is done it's thing (hopefully problem free, and in about 20 minutes ideally) you'll have a dual boot setup meaning you will be able to use both Vista and Win 7... ;) You can do an upgrade if you'd prefer but from the sounds of it a clean install would best suit your situation. And as always, please remember to backup all your personal files before installing a new OS, especially a BETA OS... and not to sound repetitive but as always, if your not comfortable using BETA software than please don't.. ;)

I recommend making an image of your hard drive, that way if anything goes wrong with the windows 7 beta you can within 20 minutes have your pc set back with all programs and software in no time.

If you have Windows VISTA Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise please click start and in the search type "backup". Backup and restore should appear as one of the options above. Click It. IT brings open a window and somewhere on the left it says Create an image Backup. Click that. Then follow the steps to make a backup.

If however you have Home Basic or Premium then go to DriveImage XML Backup Software And download and install the software to make an image backup. It is free. Note you will need some sort of second hard drive or external hard drive to make a backup to.

If you need any further help either im me at one of my sn's or post back here and i will get back with you ASAP.

Ok first of all could you please let us know your system specs, that way we'll have a better idea as to what problems you may or may not encounter when installing Windows 7. Alot of people, myself included, have installed both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Win 7 with no problems at all. Though there have been some issues for some people. but that is to be expected as Windows 7 is in BETA stages and one should almost expect at LEAST one issue when using Beta software. ;) Also, where did you obtain your copy of Win 7? And which program did you use to burn the ISO to a DVD? Is your copy of Vista 64 Bit? These are all things that will help us give you the answers your looking for.. :)

You said you've partitioned your hard drive into 2 sections. C: and D: . With Vista being on the C: , alright so your looking to dual boot than? If so and your running a fairly modern system, than you shouldn't have any problems or at least no major issues. All you would have to do is boot from your Windows 7 DVD and do a clean install onto your D: partition. Once the install is done it's thing (hopefully problem free, and in about 20 minutes ideally) you'll have a dual boot setup meaning you will be able to use both Vista and Win 7... ;) You can do an upgrade if you'd prefer but from the sounds of it a clean install would best suit your situation. And as always, please remember to backup all your personal files before installing a new OS, especially a BETA OS... and not to sound repetitive but as always, if your not comfortable using BETA software than please don't.. ;)

i am using power iso and i got copy of windows from microsft website

hey you said i should install windows 7 on my d: drive but it have no space to install it
i want to install it on C: drive where vista has installed
if i will install windows 7 in C:
then can i use both the windows? or if it will crash my system then will i able to recover my windows vista from recovery discs

If you install Windows 7 beta on your C: without first creating a seperate partition than no you won't be able to dual-boot because you'll be installing Win 7 over top of Vista... To dual-boot and use both versions of Windows you'll have to either create a seperate partition on your C: and clean install 7 in the new partition OR Install 7 on your D:.. but since you said the D: is already too full than that doesn't really sound like an option.. ;) Just remember to backup all your personal files before proceeding! :) It's not worth loosing all your data over a Beta OS no matter how good the Beta OS is.. ;)

Back