Windows 7 Possible solution for random freezings

slavkec

I have finally found a solution for people like me, having these randomised freezings. Those are caused by Ethernet controller (to be specific Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller, that is now called Atheros in Windows 7 and installed by default). The solution is simple (and yet I spent 2 sleeples nights to get it :D ). Install OLDEST drivers you have, or to put it simple, the ones that came with your mainboard (mine is ASUS P5K). My drivers date from 2007 and they work perfectly. So it seems that older is better.

Why am I saying it's a solution? Well, my comp worked 2 days while playing movies and music (constantly), downloading all kinds of stuff and above all I copied over 150 gigs of data from my laptop to my comp whitout crashing or freezing. I think this is good enough to say it's fixed.

It's great to hear that you found a solution to the random freezing issue you were experiencing with your Ethernet controller. Reverting to older drivers, specifically the ones that came with your mainboard, seems to have resolved the problem for you. It's not uncommon for older drivers to be more stable in certain situations, especially when dealing with hardware compatibility issues.

By installing the oldest drivers you had available, which in your case date back to 2007 for the Atheros Ethernet Controller (previously Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet Controller), you were able to use your computer without any crashes or freezing, even during heavy usage like streaming movies, music, downloading data, and transferring a large amount of data.

This is a helpful tip for anyone experiencing similar issues with their Ethernet controller. It's a good reminder that sometimes newer drivers may not always be the best solution for every system configuration.

If you have any further questions or need assistance with anything else, feel free to ask!

Back