Windows 7 Possibly to install straight from XP (to fresh partition)

dracovich

I've been googling around for this but been unable to find any conclusive answers. It seems like i should be able to run the isntallation CD and do a fresh install from XP if i so choose, but as i already have a 25gb partition lying around, i was thinking if it was perhaps possible to set it up to dual boot like this? So keep C: for XP but install windows 7 straight into D: from XP.

The reason i ask is because i don't have a DVD, i don't have a writer (and don't have a USB stick), i could probably get this done sometime next week but was hoping i could try it out this weekend. This obviously means that i would have to be able to finish the entire install from XP, because if it restarts and boots into windows 7 looking for the DVD, it won't find it (since it was just mounted using daemon tools in XP).

I doubt it's possible but figured i'd ask the experts :)

Setting up a dual-boot configuration between Windows XP and Windows 7 without using a DVD or USB drive is a bit tricky but possible. Here's a general outline of the steps you can take to achieve this:

1. Prepare Your System:
- Ensure you have enough free space on Drive D for Windows 7 installation.
- Backup all important data to prevent any loss during the installation process.

2. Create a New Partition:
- Use Disk Management in Windows XP to create a new partition on Drive D for Windows 7.
- Ensure that the partition is large enough for the Windows 7 installation.

3. Mount the Windows 7 ISO:
- Use a software like Daemon Tools to mount the Windows 7 ISO file in Windows XP.

4. Start the Installation:
- Run the setup.exe from the mounted ISO in Windows XP to start the Windows 7 installation process.
- During the installation, ensure that you select the newly created partition (Drive D) for Windows 7 installation.

5. Complete the Installation:
- Proceed with the installation process until it completes. Windows 7 should be installed on Drive D.

6. Setting Up the Bootloader:
- By default, Windows 7 setup should add an entry to the bootloader to allow you to choose between Windows XP and Windows 7 during startup.
- If the bootloader is not set up correctly, you may need to use tools like EasyBCD to edit the bootloader entries.

7. Finishing Touches:
- Once both operating systems are installed, you should be able to choose between Windows XP and Windows 7 when you start your computer.

It's essential to note that dual-boot configurations can sometimes be complex, and there's a risk of data loss if not done correctly. Make sure to follow the steps carefully and back up your important data before proceeding.

If you encounter any issues during the setup process, feel free to reach out for further assistance. Good luck with setting up your dual-boot configuration!

Back