Windows 7 Pre-Order Windows 7 Now

Unless I am misunderstanding this... according to that chart, compatibility mode is disabled in home premium?

do you mean the virtual xp mode? or the compatibility tab when you try to run a program? virtual xp mode is not available in home premium, but you can still pre-order pro which does have the virtual xp mode.

I pre-ordered 2 copies of home premium myself

Unless I am misunderstanding this... according to that chart, compatibility mode is disabled in home premium?

XP-Mode will not work in Home Premium. But thats the only major difference and since my pc can't run it on the other builds anyway im going home premium.

I forgot about virtual XP mode. Is that the feature that was removed? I won't ever have any use for that... but if Compatibility mode were removed, it would be worth upgrading.

I guess I'm getting Home Premium.

$49? Is that for 64 bit as well?

Upgrade to Windows 7 Professional

:confused:If I have Vista Home on my PC and want to Upgrade to Windows 7 Professional.
Do I buy the Upgrade version or the normal version?

Cheers in advance for the help.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I notice they are only offering upgrades, and not full installation copies. I tried upgrading from Vista to W7 using the RC and it was an absolute horror! I was forced to do a clean install and then it all ran smooth as silk. But do you reckon this will upgrade from the RC version so that it will not time out when it expires next year? If this is the case, then paying for the "upgrade" might not be so bad, but paying for an XP/Vista upgrade is a waste of money.

Does anyone know how many computers i can install this on? I have 2 laptops and 1 desktop at home. I have w7 RC on the desktop and want to upgrade all 3 when it comes out. Can i just get a x64 and x86? 1 laptop and 1 desktop has a x64 and one older laptop is x86. Thanks in advance.

they ARE offering full installation copies, you just have to browse around a little bit ;)
Ahh, I see now... But the only ones you get a preorder discount on are the premium, and professional upgrades. All the full versions as well as the upgrade version of Ultimate are still full whack. That being the case, I will wait to buy it just before the RC expires... Unless MS breaks down and discounts the full versions.
Windows 7 - Buy and download from Microsoft Store

Last edited:
Ahh, I see now... But the only ones you get a preorder discount on are the premium, and professional upgrades. All the full versions as well as the upgrade version of Ultimate are still full whack. That being the case, I will wait to buy it just before the RC expires... Unless MS breaks down and discounts the full versions.
Windows 7 - Buy and download from Microsoft Store

There will be no discount for anything but the premium and pro upgrades, which expire on July 11. You can do a clean install from the upgrade disc

If you want Ultimate, upgrade or not, you are gonna have to pay a lot of cash.

Oh, OK, so if I understand it correctly, "upgrade" means you already have a valid version of either XP or Vista? So once you purchase the upgrade, you can load W7 as a clean install without having to first install your previous OS. That's not a bad way to go then, especially since I want to leave Vista and never look back. I suppose that when you activate your W7 upgrade key, it would probably deactivate your previous version's key as well.

For the people asking. Compatibility mode like running programs like they are in vista and xp will be in so you can like get msn to run like in vista. Just xp-mode won't work. But that wont bother me.

How exactly will the pre-order work? Will you receive the full version of the operating system or will it be an upgrade from Windows 7 RC?

How exactly will the pre-order work? Will you receive the full version of the operating system or will it be an upgrade from Windows 7 RC?

It will be a upgrade. But you can only upgrade from vista. Or a custom install from any os.

I'm still confused. Who can clear this up for meh?

I want to do a 64bit clean installation. I have an activated 32bit XP Pro machine and an activated 32bit Vista Home Premium machine. Can I clean install 64bit Win7 Home Premium on these? I pre-ordered 2 copies. If I can't, then oh well, i'll sell them for 40 bucks each to someone.

I'm still confused. Who can clear this up for meh?

I want to do a 64bit clean installation. I have an activated 32bit XP Pro machine and an activated 32bit Vista Home Premium machine. Can I clean install 64bit Win7 Home Premium on these? I pre-ordered 2 copies. If I can't, then oh well, i'll sell them for 40 bucks each to someone.

Yes, as long as each rig meets the Minimum System Requirements for Windows 7.. The one you have running Windows Vista will (as long as your cpu is 64-bit compatible). What are the specs of each pc? As long as each has a 64-bit compatible CPU and in my opinion no less than 1.5GB's of RAM (It will run on less but not without compromise) than your good to go.. :)

I'm curious though do you want to dual-boot either of these pc's?

Back