Windows 7 ~ Preparation for upgrade questions...

Ladyfirst

Honorable Member
~ I've read a few tutorials in preparation for the upgrade to Windows 7 and it was recommended that I uninstall all unnecessary software from my computer.

I've done that, as well as doing a disk-cleanup and defragging

But I was wondering if it would be advisable to also uninstall my security programs and then reinstall them after the upgrade is finished.
I realize that my anti-virus (Avast) would be exempt from this purge.

I'm currently running:

Malwarebytes

SuperAntispyware

SpywareBlaster

Threatfire

I would appreciate any further information you may have that will contribute to a smooth and successful upgrade.

~ Thank you in advance. ~

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums.

Please do not perform and upgrade, but a "clean" install

An upgrade leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Be aware, you will have to re-install all your 3rd party applications.

~ Thank you for your quick response.

.I hadn't thought of doing a "Clean" install but perhaps I should consider it.

Last edited:
~ I'm sorry, I should have included that information.

x64 Vista Home Premium SP2

~ Thank you, Drew.

I received an Upgrade package from Dell a few days ago, (which I hadn't opened until now ).
It contains two DVDs - one entitled Upgrade Assistant and the other Windows 7 Upgrade.
Well, that rather narrows down my options :)!

This brings me back to my original question about what necessary steps I need to take to prepare my machine for the upgrade process.

Is there anything that I've missed or still need to do?
(I'm a bit nervous about doing this upgrade thing.)

Last edited:
I didn't know you were getting the DVD's from Dell.

That's a totally different story.

I believe you gave to go with the upgrade route because th DVD;s contain all the applications that were pre-installed on your computer when you first purchased it.

Sorry

~ Thanks http://windows7forums.com/members/reghakr.htmlreghakr for your responses and input!

Drew,

~ Yes, I purchased this Vista computer a month ago, just prior to the Windows 7 release date. Hence, I got it for a very good price and with the free upgrade - just had to wait a bit for the Discs to arrive.

I appreciated your suggestions and I will definitely post back with the results.

~ Thanks again for your help! ~

Last edited:
Update:

Finished the upgrade this morning without a problem - just "connected the dots". ;)

~ Thanks ~

Back
Top Bottom