Windows 7 PRINTER DRIVER NOT SUPPORTED BY WINDOWS 7

neologism

Hello!

This is my first post on this discussion forum.

Recently I purchased a new DELL laptop computer which runs Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit). This afternoon I tried to use the same laser printer which I was regularly using with my previous DELL laptop computer (Windows XP Professional). The printer is an NEC SuperScript 860.

Unfortunately, after plugging this printer into a USB port on my new computer, I was promptly notified that Windows 7 was unable to locate a compatible printer driver. As a result, I cannot get this printer running with my new computer.

According to NEC's website, they no longer provide Windows 7 printer drivers for discontinued products (see: NEC: Printer Support)... such as my SuperScript 860 printer. This NEC website clearly states: "Microsoft Windows 7 and Vista drivers are not available for any NEC printer model."

After doing a quick Internet search, I manged to locate the following two downloads which "claim" to be compatible with Windows 7:

1.) Link Removed - Invalid URL
2.) Link Removed - Invalid URL

The above-mentioned download website location specifies: "Please be advised that all SuperScript 860 driver software and utilities are the property of their respectful vendors - NEC. Use only official driver program or utilities for your NEC hardware."

Can the print drivers from this third part vendor be trusted? Although they claim that the down-loadable print drivers are from NEC, the NEC website (cited above) seems to indicate otherwise.

I'd really like to get my NEC printer working on my new computer. Do you suppose it is possible to do so?

Any "uncomplicated" suggestions would be very much appreciated? (Admittedly, I'm not very skilled with computer-related technical stuff.)

Many thanks...

Hi

I have the same issue with my Epson scanner.
I had to download and install 3rd party software to run it on my Windows 7 64 bit computer.

I don't think that you can get into too much trouble trying to install these drivers.

I did a quick search and didn't find any negative info on "Driverstart.com".
And McAfee says that "LatestDriverUpdate.com" is safe.

It may or may not work but it's worth a try.

Mike

Thanks for the response, Mike.

Update...

Well, the smaller of the two downloaded files (471 kb) is a scam. The downloaded file is simply the installation program for the infamous "Driver Detective" software. A quick reading of the user reviews on CNet.com will reveal the nature of this software application.

Do you suppose there is any chance that the printer driver included with Windows XP for the NEC SuperScript 860 would run in Windows 7 (64 bit)?

Last edited:
Hi

I see you are right about that, (tried it my self) both of them are just fronts for Drive Detective.
It's funny that McAfee listed it as legit.

I'm guessing that the XP drivers won't work with 64 bit.

I never did find drivers for my Epson scanner, as in your case, they said they were not going to support 64 bit for anything but their newest stuff.

I was able to fine 3rd party software that would run the scanner but I did have to pay for it.

There may be no alternative but to scrap your old printer.

I don't think that you can get into trouble trying the XP drives but I doubt it will work.

Mike

Hi Mike,

This is just a quick update to mention that - after scouring the Internet for a few hours - I managed to locate this web page: NEC Superscript 860 Frequently Asked Questions

As mentioned in the above-cited Q&A web page, the NEC SuperScript 860 printer was designed to emulate the HP LaserJet iiP printer. Therefore, I manually installed this specific HP printer driver in Windows 7. As a result, my NEC printer is now functional.

However, the usual resolution of my NEC printer (600 dpi) has now been reduced to only 300 dpi. This is a limitation of the HP printer which is being emulated... and for which the now-installed HP printer driver was intended. That being said, the HP driver seems to be faster than the original NEC printer driver.

Although I did manage to locate a website which provided another solution which preserved the 600 dpi resolution of the NEC printer, the procedure seemed far too complex for me and required a CD containing the 64-bit version of Windows XP Professional to provide the required printer driver.

In any case, my current solution seems adequate for my purposes. I'm happy! :)

Many thanks for your input...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Guys! Am happy for this thread. I have the same trouble with 2 older Canon printers. They're indeed NOT usable under the 64 bit OS. While Canon was very cooperative in getting me the info needed, the download of the Win7 supported drivers merely made the printheads "wiggle" but then said "no driver installed.

Considering the fact that new printers in general are much cheaper now than they were 4 years ago, their replacement ink tanks cost a fortune. I had stocked up on Canon cartridges in hopes of using these oldies but goodies for a long time, especially since they're easily refillable. With the "built-in" obsolescence I will now have to dump them.

The only Rube Goldberg solution I have found was to reactivate the old Win XP machine and transfer items to be printed with a flash drive or email them to myself. Viva the new technology which is supposed to make life easier...

I was similarly taken in by those faux sites that advertise free drivers but then hold out their hands for shekels before allowing the actual download.

Hi

I've use Epson C series printers for years starting with the Epson C80, I'm up to the C88+ now.
They are reliable and cheap. I've tried several other brands and models but had very bad results.

The best part is that every other time that my ink runs out, I just order a new printer from Amazon.

It only costs a few bucks more then buying the ink cartridges and I never have a printer wear out of go bad on me.

The ink cartridges that come with the printer seem to last just as long as the one I buy separately and I get the printer essentially for free.

You can still buy the C88 but I don't think they are being produced any more so I don't know what I'm going to do next.

The price on them has gone up a little to about $85, I have bought them as low as $49.

It seems that the quality of printers has really gone down hill now that they are all made in China.

I'm going to have to do a lot of research before I replace this one.

Mike

Just so you know, XP drivers will, in some cases, work in Win 7 x64 in compatibility mode, if you have x64 versions. The problem is usually that the older printers or other equipment never had x64 drivers written since that was not the most common OS version.

I am using XP drivers for my HP scanner and it works in my 32 bit Win 7 install, but no x64 drivers for it.

Back