Windows 10 Printer Malfunction

Jim B

I purchased a new laptop (HP) 64 bit/8 GB RAM with Windows 10. We have 2 printers, a HP envy 5660 & 7640. In my printer setup with the new computer the 7640 works fine, but not the 5660. I have uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times to no avail. A window pops up when I try to print, titled C:\windows\splwow64.exe, stating "function address 0x4d975299 caused a protection fault (exception code 0xe06d7363). Some or all property pages may not be displayed." I tried an internet search without much luck. HP hasn't been much help either. The 5660 printer works fine with my old laptop, as well as with my iphone & ipad, so I think the source of the problem may be windows. Can you assist? Jim B

My guess if this is the only win 10 PC you have it is no longer supported. You could try and older driver or maybe compatibility mode on install.

Can you guide me thru both options? Not sure how to install an older driver or do the compatibility mode.

Officially there is no support for Windows 10 for that software. You can look on the disc for the setup.exe process and try right clicking on it and select properties. Click on the Compatibility tab. Check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select Windows 7 Click Apply > Ok and try running the setup again.

For an older version of the driver you need to go to the HP site and see if they have an older or maybe a newer version then what you have installed.

Back