Windows 7 Printer Problems

radink

Hey all,

I've installed Windows 7 RC. For some reason, I can not connect to our network printers here. They worked fine in Vista. Im running the 32 bit version (vista was also 32bit). When I try to add the printer, I get an error 0x0000000d windows could not connect to the printer.

I have disabled my firewall, and still nothing.

These all worked fine in vista with the same drivers.

Thanks!
Mark

Hey all,

I've installed Windows 7 RC. For some reason, I can not connect to our network printers here. They worked fine in Vista. Im running the 32 bit version (vista was also 32bit). When I try to add the printer, I get an error 0x0000000d windows could not connect to the printer.

I have disabled my firewall, and still nothing.

These all worked fine in vista with the same drivers.

Thanks!
Mark
Hi Mark,

The Make and Model of the Printer will help anyone reading the thread to better understand the problem and offer specific suggestions. For folks searching for answers to problem like your's, Computer SPECS and Specifications of tbe problem device will be of great help.

For a problem similar to your in Windows VISTA ( and therefore I expect it to be useful in Windows 7 there is a good MSKB article: KB 947236 titled:
Error message when you try to install a network printer on a Windows Vista-based computer: "Windows cannot connect to the printer Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000000d)"

Here is the URL: Error message when you try to install a network printer on a Windows Vista-based computer: "Windows cannot connect to the printer Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000000d)"

I hope you will post the results of your ***Registry troubleshoot along with SPECS in the following format:

***Please Export the Registry key and save it on a named folder BEFORE editing in the registry
  1. EXACT Make and Model of the MOTHERBOARD if custom built PC [If it is a brand name Computer , its Exact Make & Model will suffice. With that as a search term we can find out about most default devices and software loaded on Commercially manufactured Computers from their support websites]
  2. EXACT Make and Model of the CPU
  3. EXACT Make and Model of the RAM; Total RAM
  4. EXACT Make and Model of any Add -on cards ( PCI/AGP/ PCIE etc) in the system
  5. EXACT Make and Model of any Internal or Exteranal USB device attached to the system
  6. EXACT Make and Model of Power Supply Unit or at the least its Wattage
  7. EXACT Make and Model of the problem Peripheral device: Printer, Scanner, WebCam, Memory card Reader etc
Thank you.

I have a canon ir 5570/6570 printer. It's connected via a windows 2000 server.

I tried the method in the MS KB article and I still get the same problem.

Not sure what's going on. I may just have to go back to XP.

It looks like for some reason, Win 7 does not like printers shared by server 2000. I added and served the same printers from my windows 2003 server and everything works great. Odd.

Last edited:
Windows 7 printer problems

Hello,

I dowloaded the windows 7 rc and installed it today. When i went to print a document(after installing printer) it kept saying printer not responding or printer offline and would not print. Frustrated, I restarted my computer after installing updates and when i tried again it worked fine. So if you are having a similar problems try installing updates and then just restart your computer, it should work. I have a Cannon mp510 printer. Hope this helps you, I tried various other things I found online with no succes. :)

I have a canon ir 5570/6570 printer. It's connected via a windows 2000 server.

I tried the method in the MS KB article and I still get the same problem.

Not sure what's going on. I may just have to go back to XP.

It looks like for some reason, Win 7 does not like printers shared by server 2000. I added and served the same printers from my windows 2003 server and everything works great. Odd.

I had this problem under Vista. The policy governing win 2000 print drivers was the problem for me. A similar fix may work for you. After you click the "Add a printer" choose local port. Add a local port in the dialog box in the form of \\Name of the computer the hosts the printer\name of the printer. Another dialog box will come up with A bunch of manufactorers and printer models. See if it is in that list. If not try and locat eonline at the manufactorer's site the Vista drivers. If those won't install, try running the install program in capatability mode.

gjbnh,

This works but it is not going to work. My situation is more complicated because of our CAD setup. I need to have the printers on my machine be exactly the same as on others for the printer config files to work in everyone's cad setup. Each drawing has preset settings to those printers. So they NEED to be added via the server. This is a show stopper for me and I will now have to go back to XP after days of messing with it. The sad thing is, that it worked fine in the beta.

Ahh I see. Well I have no solution for you then. It's a bit more involved than I thought. I hate regressions. But ya gotta do what works.

Back
Top Bottom