Windows 7 Printing from IE8

IPC

I can't print from IE8 in the 64 bit versions of Windows 7 (up to and including build 7201) neither will Adobe Reader open display a .PDF file. If I try to look at page preview from within IE8 I just see a blank page with a path and filename at the bottom, neither of which can I find on my system disc. I see that this was a problem when updating to IE8 under Vista but there didn't seem to be any solution apart from removing IE8 - I had no problems with IE8 and Vista. Similarly when trying to see a .PDF file from IE8 I just see a blank page.

Under the 32 bit version all is well and operates normally.

Does anyone have any advice please?

It seems like you are encountering compatibility issues with Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) and Adobe Reader on the 64-bit versions of Windows 7, specifically up to build 7201. Here are some possible solutions you can try to resolve these issues:

1. IE8 Compatibility Mode:
- Try running Internet Explorer 8 in compatibility mode. This can sometimes help resolve display issues with certain websites and PDF files.
- To do this, open IE8, press the Alt key to display the menu bar, go to Tools > Compatibility View Settings, and add the problematic website to the list.

2. Adobe Reader Configuration:
- Ensure that Adobe Reader is set as the default program for opening PDF files. To do this, right-click on a PDF file, select "Open with," choose Adobe Reader, and check the box that says "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file."

3. Reset Internet Explorer Settings:
- Resetting Internet Explorer settings can sometimes fix issues with the browser. To reset IE8 settings, go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab, and click on the "Reset" button.

4. Update Adobe Reader:
- Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Reader installed. Outdated versions may not work properly with newer browser versions.

5. Check Browser Add-ons:
- Disable any unnecessary add-ons or toolbars in IE8 that might be causing conflicts with displaying PDF files.

6. Alternate PDF Viewer:
- Consider using an alternative PDF viewer like Foxit Reader or Microsoft Edge (pre-installed on Windows 10) to open PDF files from within Internet Explorer.

7. Windows Update:
- Ensure that your Windows 7 installation is up to date with the latest updates from Windows Update. Sometimes, software issues are resolved through system updates.

If you continue to experience issues after trying these solutions, you may also consider upgrading to a newer version of Windows, as Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft. Upgrading to a newer version like Windows 10 can provide better compatibility and security.

Feel free to try these steps and let me know if you need further assistance!

Back