Windows 7 Printing

seekermeister

Honorable Member
I have a HP5510v printer, which works fine, except when printing a webpage it never prints the page as it is actually organized. It ignores lines, spacing, etc. and jams everything together into a single paragraph.

I have tried everything in the print options, but nothing seems to make a difference in the regards. Is there something I can do about this, or do I just have to live with it?

Thanks, your suggestion is one I should have thought of myself. I tried printing a page from IE (which I rarely touch) and it worked properly. I guess that just one more reason to find some other browser to use other than Opera.

seeker,

I was just reading history of Opera's many bugs, and it appears its never been to keen on printing correctly.

Try turning off the fit to page option and see if that helps?

No, as it turns out, the problem only occurs when printing a selection (which I nearly always do), rather than the entire page. Disabling fit to width didn't change that.

There is no driver available on the HP site for my printer:

Install the Driver Using Windows Update with a USB Connection (Downloadable Driver Not Available)
2011-06-30 , VersionN/A
HP All-in-One Printers - Installing the Product with the USB Cable and Using the Windows Update Driver or the Driver Located in the Windows 7 Operating System.
The Device Manager shows the date of the driver installed as being 6-21-06

I was somewhat hasty when I said that it printed properly in IE, because the test I did was only printing the full page. When trying to only print a selection it's not possible, because the selection option is grayed out.

From that link I posted, it's for your printer not mine. I have my 8.1 software/driver from HP for my 5610v printer.

Obviously, your printer is still supported, while mine isn't. Even the driver and software that are on the CD that came with the printer won't install on W7. Peculiarly the printer has better support in Linux than in Windows, because it has a HP System Tray icon, from which diagnostic functions are available. That sort of functions were available when the software was installed from the CD, but it only worked in XP (not sure about Vista, because I never used it)

If I had had this printer for a long time, it wouldn't have bothered me so much, but they dropped support for it years ago, not all that long after I bought it. Also, the fact that when I called their support, just shortly after the warranty ran out with a question, they would even listen to it. I said that it was a very simple question, and he replied that it was the simple ones that caused the most trouble. Needless to say that all that left a bad taste in my mouth for HP. I thought I would never buy another HP printer, but in reality I bought two more, but they were used one I bought pretty cheaply. If I needed to buy a new printer, I don't know what I would do.

I just ran a test of my CP1025nw Laser printer, selecting the print selection option, and it did the same thing as the 5510v...everything clumped together in Opera. For some reason, it won't print at all in IE. I may have to reinstall the driver, because the tray icon says that it's not connected, but it is hard to understand how Opera and the test function in the HP wizard could print if it isn't.

What are you exactly trying to print from Opera? Any specific page?

I'm wondering if there is something in your printer preferences settings that's causing the issue.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter which webpage I print.

EDIT: Since you don't have this problem, I'm wondering which browser you use?

I've tested Chrome, IE 11, Firefox and Opera...all print fine for me....so I'm at a loss. Other then using Revo-uninstaller and uninstalling all that printer driver/software and starting from scratch. Personally since your HP printer isn't supported any more and it just uses the built in driver software from the OS....I'd ditch it.

Like you, I've had my HP printer for a long time (since 2001)...it works flawlessly, just uses ink like crazy. But what little printing I and the family print....I'll keep mine in use. Although I have been looking for a nice replacement.

Since I have the laser printer, I don't need another, but I keep the laser printer in the closet, connected wirelessly, which makes it more of a hassle to print, running back and forth. The main reason that I still use the 5510v is twofold...it sits on my desktop and it has a scanner function, which the laser doesn't. I'm not going to buy another printer because I'm tight, and as I said, I wouldn't know what I would buy anyway. It wouldn't be a printer that I thought might be near the end of it's support life though.

Back