Windows 7 Problem installing windows 7

Stiflerz

Ok, so the first thing I had is this:
"setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition" and its the main problem.

Atm I have:
1x 200GB Sata hdd (3 partitions: 90gb WindowsXP, 100GB for stuff, 10GB for backup)
1x 500GB Sata hdd - this is a new HDD, nothing on it yet. (I want it split 150(windows 7)/350(otherstuff)

First tryed to install while had boath HDD - got this error. Started searching google, most time the answer was: remove other hdd. But It doenst help to me... Still getting same error when I have only 500GB HDD inserted.
Tryed to delete boath partitions in windowsXP, and then creat new one. Tryed to delete boath in windows7 installation, create new one, and its still the same error!

Something new came, when I had only 500gb hdd connected, I formated the partition via Windows7 installation, then exited installation and started again.
Clicking on the partition I want to install, it Already told that, Windows cannot install there, because "windows 7 This hard disk space is formatted with in an unsupported version of the NTFS file system"
How can it be an unsupported format, when its formated via the install?

Anyone can other suggestions how I could get this working ?

Last edited:
Put in only the drive you want to install to, boot to dvd, go to custom install and you can remove all partitions and format the drive, then do a custom install. I've done it 6 or 8 times and I have never seen your message.. but it may be trying to install to the 100 mb partition that win 7 sets up for system recovery.

I have tryed to only connect my 500GB HDD, which is empty... It still doesnt allow to do so.
I have removed partitons, made new ones, formated, nothing helps...

Does win7 automaticly tryes to make that 100mb partition? Or I have to make it manualy ?

I have tryed to only connect my 500GB HDD, which is empty... It still doesnt allow to do so.
I have removed partitons, made new ones, formated, nothing helps...

Does win7 automaticly tryes to make that 100mb partition? Or I have to make it manualy ?

It's automatic, you don't need to make it.

And your message is always that the drive is not ntfs? even after your formatted it from the install disk? If I'm understanding you correctly, I just can't imagine anything that would cause that message.

When you boot to the win 7 install dvd disk, press shift F10 and go to the command prompt then type and enter

c:
dir

if no files are found type and enter this

echo hello > test

then type and enter dir again. You should get the test file listed and about 490,000,000,000 bytes free... if not you'll need to find out what drive letter you bios has assigned the dive to and figure out what drive the install is formatting. do you happen to have a USB drive or another external drive installed?

It's automatic, you don't need to make it.

And your message is always that the drive is not ntfs? even after your formatted it from the install disk? If I'm understanding you correctly, I just can't imagine anything that would cause that message.

When you boot to the win 7 install dvd disk, press shift F10 and go to the command prompt then type and enter

c:
dir

if no files are found type and enter this

echo hello > test

then type and enter dir again. You should get the test file listed and about 490,000,000,000 bytes free... if not you'll need to find out what drive letter you bios has assigned the dive to and figure out what drive the install is formatting. do you happen to have a USB drive or another external drive installed?

Well not always I get that msg about wrong format, but its goten after formating true install CD.

Ok, Il try that thing with cmd, right now gave my hdd to a friend so he can test put win7 on his system, with his cd, mybe its my HDD whats fcked up...

If you can remove partition and format it, I would think you can install to it. I had an old drive and when I tried to install to it, it said it wasn't ntfs and ask me if I wanted to format it to ntfs, I just said yes and went on my merry way.

If you're an advanced user and want to delete all partition on yhe drive, let me now,

If you can remove partition and format it, I would think you can install to it. I had an old drive and when I tried to install to it, it said it wasn't ntfs and ask me if I wanted to format it to ntfs, I just said yes and went on my merry way.
Wanted to try install XP on it, but didnt have time yet, gave hdd away, but I think it might be something releated to my system why win7 doenst want to install...

Reghakr - I think Im advanced user, and I deleted all my partition on that hdd...

All partitions are deleted.

Did you put this in another computer and wipe it clean?

Did you format it in NTFS?

If that's the case there should be no reason for it to fail on insatll.

All partitions are deleted.

Did you put this in another computer and wipe it clean?

Did you format it in NTFS?

If that's the case there should be no reason for it to fail on insatll.
Didnt put it in other PC, just had only 1 hdd connected, deleted all partitions (with win7 install CD) and created new partition (with same CD).

what program did you use to delete a ll partitions on the hard drive,

Wasn't there a previous operating system system on the hard drive,?

what program did you use to delete a ll partitions on the hard drive,

Wasn't there a previous operating system system on the hard drive,?
u should read all I write...

Have 2 HDD, 2nd one where I tryed install win7 was empty, and deleted partition with win7 install CD.

deleted all partitions (with win7 install CD) and created new partition (with same CD).

I don't understand this.

How did you create a new partition when you put in the install DVD and install begins/

Maybe I'm missing something here , bit if you have a empty drive, why can't you run the install here?

I don't understand this.

How did you create a new partition when you put in the install DVD and install begins/

Maybe I'm missing something here , bit if you have a empty drive, why can't you run the install here?

Im stoped at the point in install process, where you have to choose at which partition you want to install windows, at the same place where you can delete and create partitions!

How can it be asking you what partition to install to .

The only way that message would come up is if you had more than one partition.

Are you performing an upgrade or a"clean" install?

A clean insatll is the best coice.

How can it be asking you what partition to install to .

The only way that message would come up is if you had more than one partition.

Are you performing an upgrade or a"clean" install?

A clean insatll is the best coice.

Doesnt looks like u have much knowlage about anything ur talking about...

Ofc its clean install, and yes, IT ASKS partition!

Doesnt looks like u have much knowlage about anything ur talking about...

Ofc its clean install, and yes, IT ASKS partition!
A little restraint might be in order..... I would think Reghakr might have a little knowledge after 6,730 posts!

Yes it does come to a point where it asks what partition then if you multiple Partitions or internal Hard drives it gives you a choice of where you want it installed. Remember each HD is considered a partition when I installed it even showed my 5 gig Seagate pocket drive as option

Back