Problem Reinstalling Vista Home Premium - Black Screen Freeze

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help and Support' started by fossileyes, Jul 25, 2008.

1. fossileyes

fossileyes New Member

Jul 25, 2008

Any help that you might give is greatly appreciated.

I attempted to reinstall Vista Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron 1720.

• I did the normal backup of materials, and then put in the disc, instructing it to do a full wipe and then a reinstall.
    • It said that it would reboot a few times in the process, and to leave it alone. I started the process and then left home.
    • When I got home, it was on a black screen, with a white mouse pointer.
    • Nothing responds on the keyboard except to use the power button.
    • When I attempt to reboot, it gives me the instructions to use the 'repair your computer' prompt on the Vista install disc.
    • I tried all the options on that, including a scan that took hours, all to no use.
    • I've tried the re-do the reinstall 3x now, all to the same result.
    • I got out the diagnostics disc and ran a full diagnostic on the HDD (8 hours), and it passed with flying colors.

Any ideas of what to do next?

2. Celestra

Celestra Former Moderator

Jan 15, 2008
    Hi!! Several people tried this and it worked, don't know why........(See Below) Also, people have had problems with hardware. Wireless cards,PCI and other things. After removing them Vista installed perfectly. A driver problem?
  3. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

May 1, 2008
    Have a look at the specs in the book. I believe that may be a SATA HD. Did you have the SATA drivers loaded as per the request at the start of the installation?

You have also, as a graphics card, an ATI Radeon Xpress X1270 or Mobile Intel GMA X3100. You could try and obtain the latest drivers. I browsed and could see they were not supported by ATI/AMD so you would probably have to work with Dell on that one. (How old is you Laptop? I think Dell offer a 2 year on site support in most countries)

JMMNETWORKS New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    You must 'Load Drivers' prior to continuing with Vista install (in most cases your SATA controller needs a driver). In other words, boot to your OS disk, and before selecting which partition/disk to install, select 'Load Drivers' and either insert your driver/utility disk (which came with the PC) or custom driver disk to scan. Vista will recognize any applicable drivers it determines necessary to complete install.