Problem with desktop icons, opening programs and pointer not responding

Windows 7 has been on my computer for about3 moonths now with absolutely no problems. Today, however, when I logged on my icons would not appear, and the pointer was in the was blue loading ring for about 15 minites. I logged off using the ctrl+alt+del and logged back on. this time the icons loaded, but the pointer was still the blue loading ring, and I could not open the start menu or use any icons. I tried again, an that time it allowed me to open internet explorer, but when i move my cursor over the start up bar, it turns back into the blue loading ring, and wont let me open the start menu. I am pretty much stuck to using only internet explorer at the moment, or only one program at a time, then logingoff and logging back on, to use a differen program. I have tried system restore, I ran diagnostics and everything checks out. I am only average when it comes to computer problems, so any walk through advice would be very much appreaciated.

Thanks.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.