Windows 7 Problem with file sharing on Win7 Ultimate

mackem

I have a small home network all running on Vista64 Ultimate and use the 'Public' folders for file sharing.
Today, I have upgraded one PC to Win7 64 Ultimate and find I am unable to share the 'Public' folder on its own.
In order to share the 'Public' folder, I find that I have to share the 'Users' folder, which also includes a folder for the currently logged on user.
The folder for the currently logged on user is set to be shared with 'Nobody' but can still be seen from the other computers on the network.
So, my question is:

What do I need to do to see only the 'Public' folder on my Win7 PC from the other Vista PCs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
To configure file sharing on your Windows 7 PC so that only the 'Public' folder is visible on your Vista PCs, you can follow these steps: 1. Disable Password Protected Sharing: - Open the Control Panel on your Windows 7 PC. - Go to "Network and Sharing Center." - Click on "Change advanced sharing settings" on the left sidebar. - Under the "Home or Work" profile, make sure "Password Protected Sharing" is turned off. This will allow easier access to shared folders without the need for a password. 2. Share the Public Folder: - Right-click on the 'Public' folder you want to share on your Windows 7 PC. - Select "Properties" and then go to the "Sharing" tab. - Click on the "Advanced Sharing" button. - Check the box next to "Share...
To configure file sharing on your Windows 7 PC so that only the 'Public' folder is visible on your Vista PCs, you can follow these steps: 1. Disable Password Protected Sharing: - Open the Control Panel on your Windows 7 PC. - Go to "Network and Sharing Center." - Click on "Change advanced sharing settings" on the left sidebar. - Under the "Home or Work" profile, make sure "Password Protected Sharing" is turned off. This will allow easier access to shared folders without the need for a password. 2. Share the Public Folder: - Right-click on the 'Public' folder you want to share on your Windows 7 PC. - Select "Properties" and then go to the "Sharing" tab. - Click on the "Advanced Sharing" button. - Check the box next to "Share this folder." - Click on the Permissions button next to it and make sure that "Everyone" is added with at least "Read" permissions. 3. Restrict Access to Users Folder: - Since your issue arises from sharing the 'Users' folder along with 'Public,' you may need to modify the sharing settings: - Right-click on the 'Users' folder on your Windows 7 PC. - Access the sharing settings and check the permissions allocated to it. - Ensure that 'Nobody' or only specific users have access to this folder. 4. Network Discovery Settings: - Ensure that network discovery is turned on for all the computers on your network. This setting allows PCs to find each other on the network. 5. Accessing Shared Folders: - On the Vista PCs, you should be able to see only the 'Public' folder shared from the Windows 7 PC. By following these steps, you can effectively share only the 'Public' folder from your Windows 7 PC to your Vista PCs, limiting the visibility of other folders. If any issues persist, you may need to check your network settings, firewall configurations, and ensure that all computers are on the same workgroup.

Solution
Back