Windows 7 Problem with Windows 7

DamnComputer

Hi
We bought a new PC in January, and it's been fine until now.

Suddenly last week we started having problems.
Every now and then dialog boxes flicker when you try to click on them and you can't select any options. The same happened with the Start menu - the only way to turn the computer off was to use the power button.

When the computer turned back on, it asks me to:
Select boot device,
WDC WD32..........MOAO
hp DDVDW.........53R

Once I select the top one it starts up ok, but the problem keeps happening.

I've done some virus scans (everything was ok), and used a restore point (it was ok for a while, but then started again)

Can anyone please help?!

Thanks in advance

Do you use a cleaner like ccleaner?

CCleaner - Download (it's free too)

You could also try running the system file checker. Rightclick on cmd prompt and 'run as admin'. Then type:

sfc /scannow

Press enter and let the scan cycle through. If it does find any errors then it will attempt to fix them.
Also just as a general tip, make sure your drivers are the latest versions as well as system Bios.

Thanks for your suggestions.....

I've just got crapcleaner, and it's had no effect.
I've had a look, and I don't understand the rest of your instructions! Can you please tell me where I can find that!?

I've just discovered that it can't find the printer now either.

If you have the 7 DVD do a repair install - quickest way to get back to normal provided there is no hardware failure.

It is not easy to perceive a problem at first glance. But it does look like one of the possibilities is a hardware failure.
In view of the very recent purchase, if you are under gurantee, I would take it back to the seller to sort out.
Problem, as always, is, if you have installed your own software since purchase, the seller can get off the hook!
But, as you say it is flickering, there is the possibility that the graphics board is a little loose.You could try reseating it. Ditto the ram, although that is not a serious possibility, as it would give more positive indications of failure.
Similarly, check (inside) that the power connections are secure.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions.....

I've just got crapcleaner, and it's had no effect.
I've had a look, and I don't understand the rest of your instructions! Can you please tell me where I can find that!?

I've just discovered that it can't find the printer now either.

No problem.. Just check the screen shots provided and follow the instructions I provided above. (remember to 'rightclick' on the cmd prompt first and then choose 'run as admin').
If this fails to find anything try the repair option that Agent Data suggests.. :)

I forgot to mention.. I've tidied my start menu so you'll find the cmd prompt in a slightly different place but still under accessories in the start menu..

Back
Top Bottom