Windows 7 problem with wireless home network

Nisko

I have a Linksys router, a laptop, a notebook and a printer - all in the network. I had reason to reset my router. Until I reset it, I received great connections, including the Internet, on both the laptop and netbook. After resetting it, I get a continuously good connection with the netbook. However, the laptop frequently (2-3 times a day) loses its' Internet connection and shows a poor connection to the home wireless network. I have to disconnect - the reconnect the laptop to get a good connection. Any ideas on what can be wrong?

Did you set up this network yourself? Are the systems set to receive an IP address directly from the Router and have you checked to make sure they are not trying to use the same one or gotten any messages to that effect?

Any chance you could explain your reason for the router needing to be reset?

Did you set up this network yourself?

Yes.

Are the systems set to receive an IP address directly from the Router

I think so. How do I confirm that?

and have you checked to make sure they are not trying to use the same one or gotten any messages to that effect?

Not sure if they're trying to use the same IP address but have not received a message to that point. However, when things "seemed" to be working well and before I reset the router, I WAS getting a message that I was using the same IP address. I didn't know what it meant and I was not having a problem - so I ignored the message.

Any chance you could explain your reason for the router needing to be reset?

I wanted to reset/strengthen my username and password and the only way I could really understand how to do it was to reset the router.

The easiest way to check what IP address you are using is to open the Network and Sharing Center. Click on the Connections, such as Local Network Connection, just below the Homegroup option. Then Click the Details button.

Both systems should be the same (disregarding IPv6) except for the IPv4 address and the Network Adapter description..

Another way to get the info is to open a command prompt, so we will open an Administrative command prompt by hitting the Winkey and typing CMD then use CTRL+Shift+Enter to open the window.

When it is open, type ipconfig /all and the information about your connection will be shown.

When you refer to Username and Password, you are referring to the one to access the router?

In many cases, rebooting all the network devices can help, all the way from your modem/gateway, all the way to your systems. Then start up the modem first and give each device some time to discover the network.

The easiest way to check what IP address you are using is to open the Network and Sharing Center. Click on the Connections, such as Local Network Connection, just below the Homegroup option. Then Click the Details button.

Both systems should be the same (disregarding IPv6) except for the IPv4 address and the Network Adapter description..

Another way to get the info is to open a command prompt, so we will open an Administrative command prompt by hitting the Winkey and typing CMD then use CTRL+Shift+Enter to open the window.

When it is open, type ipconfig /all and the information about your connection will be shown.

IPv4 is 192.168.100 on one PC and 192.168.1.101 on the other.

When you refer to Username and Password, you are referring to the one to access the router?

Yes.

In many cases, rebooting all the network devices can help, all the way from your modem/gateway, all the way to your systems. Then start up the modem first and give each device some time to discover the network.

Will try tonight.

Will try tonight.

Rebooted all devices as you described. The two PC's still have different IPv4 addresses (same as earlier). It appears that it is normal. Only time will tell if I continue to lose my connection on the laptop.

You said: Both systems should be the same (disregarding IPv6) except for the IPv4 address and the Network Adapter description..

Could you be clearer. That statement seems confusing to me (sorry).

Back