Windows 8 Problems booting

Jragon

My computer is a Lenovo Y50-70 and if I press the power button to start up I get a black screen with a blinking underline character in the upper left hand corner, I don't seem to be able to type or do anything from this screen. If I start up using the Lenovo one key recovery key I can open up a boot menu and select windows bootloader on what I believe is the 8GB cache on my hard drive and boot fine. I would very much like to be able to just boot using the power button for obvious reasons, any help is appreciated.

Edit : added a picture to show the boot options on imgur it's /zs50ruR (can't post links yet) .
The SATA HDD is what the computer boots off of by default and is what is giving me the black screen.
Windows Boot Manager is what actually works for booting the computer for me.

Last edited:
Check the BIOS and confirm your default boot device.
Make sure you haven't changed any of the default boot behavior. UEFI / Secure to Legacy, or drive controller settings, AHCI, RAID, Native IDE.... etc.

After powering on the computer, press F8 until you get a menu. Try booting into safe mode. If that works I would try and determine if you had a recent driver update.

Back
Top Bottom