Problems deleting documents in Microsoft Word 2010

DRE44

A Word document suddenly changes into a 'read only' file which cannot be saved or deleted. I have 'saved' under different file names as instructed, but as a result I now have 10 versions of the document, 9 of which I don't want! The 'Help' file says go to 'Properties' and untick the 'read only' box. The boxes aren't ticked, so I still cannot delete. How do I delete these files?

patcooke

Microsoft MVP
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Have you got a full version of Office 2010 which you have installed or is it a trial/beta version?

DRE44

I installed the full version - part of the Office 2010 I bought with the computer. I have never had this problem with other documents.

patcooke

Microsoft MVP
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
May be some restrictive properties imported with the document. Try remove on boot - free download from here:

Download MoveOnBoot 1.95 Free - Allows you to copy, moves or delete files on the next system boot - Softpedia

If you need to keep a copy of the document copy and paste the entire contents into a new word doc and save it before remving all its predecessors.

DRE44

Thanks for the info. I have done the download, but there's no 'MoveOnBoat', even though the message said download complete. All I have is Zoom Downloader which wants me to buy the premium version. Sorry, no progress yet.

patcooke

Microsoft MVP
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Think you might have clicked on the wrong link - try this one:

Download starting... - Softpedia

DRE44

Correct programme downloaded now! Unfortunately no success. I dragged a file into the box as required. The response was 'access denied'. The file was still there on rebooting. However, I have found out elsewhere that there could be a Microsoft problem with Word 2010. It was suggested that I untick the 'preview pane' in the 'organise' menu. Success so far. The latest version of my document hasn't opened as 'read only' after several tests, and I have deleted the earlier 9 'read only' versions. Thanks for your help. Perhaps this info will be useful to you.

patcooke

Microsoft MVP
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Glad it's sorted and thanks for the useful feedback.

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Too Late..

DRE44

Too late for what?

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Already solved...too late for comment. For some reason all the posts did not show up when I first checked...

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.