Problems with hard drive allocation - no space on C drive but can't install to D drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by ElizabethD, Apr 25, 2011.

1. ElizabethD

ElizabethD New Member

Hello and thanks in advance for your help,

I have a Gateway desktop with two disk drives, C and D. I have been getting a message for quite awhile that I am running out of space on C. So I now try to download any software to the D drive, as there is over 900 GB of space on there. I have managed to get Adobe Acrobat on to D but now am trying to download ITunes/QuickTime and it is not working.

I download the installation file to D and set the destination folder as D, but I get a pop-up message saying there is inadequate space to install it. The pop-up message shows both C and D but I can't click on D.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it? I am attaching a screenshot of the Disk Management view in case that is helpful.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. zvit

zvit Honorable Member

It's not about what you install from now on, but what you have done until now to fill up your drive. You should delete unwanted data from your C drive or repartition your C, "stealing" some space from D and bringing it over to C.

First, you can wipe cache and tmp files with CCleaner: Download CCleaner 3.05.1409 - FileHippo.com
    If you system is working ok, you can go to clean disk from the start menu and choose C and also choose to delete all restore points except last one.
    To see what folder on your C has the most space, you can use the free utility Foldersize: Folder Size for Windows Explorer

To repartition, you can use an excellent free tool: Best Free Partition Manager Freeware for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

3. ElizabethD

ElizabethD New Member

Great, thank you! I will try all these suggestions this evening and report back. I hope the Partition Wizard software is self explanatory. :eek:

4. zvit

zvit Honorable Member

We are here if you need further assistance.

5. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Hi

Sorry I just saw the attachment that that answered my question.

Mike

#5 MikeHawthorne, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011