Windows 7 Problems with hard drive allocation - no space on C drive but can't install to D drive

ElizabethD

Hello and thanks in advance for your help,

I have a Gateway desktop with two disk drives, C and D. I have been getting a message for quite awhile that I am running out of space on C. So I now try to download any software to the D drive, as there is over 900 GB of space on there. I have managed to get Adobe Acrobat on to D but now am trying to download ITunes/QuickTime and it is not working.

I download the installation file to D and set the destination folder as D, but I get a pop-up message saying there is inadequate space to install it. The pop-up message shows both C and D but I can't click on D.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it? I am attaching a screenshot of the Disk Management view in case that is helpful.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen shot.PNG
    Screen shot.PNG
    325.5 KB · Views: 609
It's not about what you install from now on, but what you have done until now to fill up your drive. You should delete unwanted data from your C drive or repartition your C, "stealing" some space from D and bringing it over to C.

First, you can wipe cache and tmp files with CCleaner: Download CCleaner 3.05.1409 - FileHippo.com
If you system is working ok, you can go to clean disk from the start menu and choose C and also choose to delete all restore points except last one.
To see what folder on your C has the most space, you can use the free utility Foldersize: Folder Size for Windows Explorer

To repartition, you can use an excellent free tool: Best Free Partition Manager Freeware for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

Great, thank you! I will try all these suggestions this evening and report back. I hope the Partition Wizard software is self explanatory. :eek:

Hi

Sorry I just saw the attachment that that answered my question.

Mike

Last edited:
Back