Windows 7 Problems with programs disappearing

mdclxvis

Hi guys

I've been using Windows 7 for a few days now and its turning out to be pretty great. I am having a recurring problem though. For some reason, after i install a program, sometimes a few days later it will no longer be on the computer. The entry still exists in the start menu and in "programs and features" but if i try to run it from the start menu it says that:

The item ___________.exe that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly.

Do you want to delete this shortcut?

So i go to reinstall it and the install program says that the program is still on the computer and that i need to uninstall it first before i can reinstall. So then i go to "programs and features" and click uninstall. It then says:

An error occured while trying to uninstall ____________________. It may have already been uninstalled.

Would you like to remove _________________ from the Programs and Features list?

.. now I have managed to uninstall some things successfully with the help of the program Revo Uninstaller, as long as i dont remove the entry from the programs and features list, however this has occured with Windows Live Messenger and using Revo Uninstaller to search for all the registry entries and folder etc will be annoying because it could remove my chat logs etc etc.

Is anyone else having this problem with Windows 7 and has anyone come up with a fix if so?

as a short term problem fix, can anyone tell me how i can remove windows live messenger manually so that i can reinstall it? the installer programs all error because they reckon its still on my system.

I am running Windows 7 6.1.7100 Build 7100 and my system configurations is as follows:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7100 Build 7100
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JEREMYSLAPTOPW7
System Manufacturer LENOVO
System Model 776773M
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU L7500 @ 1.60GHz, 1601 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 7SET37WW (1.23 ), 12/03/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7100.0"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.97 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.00 GB
Total Virtual Memory 5.95 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.95 GB
Page File Space 2.97 GB

any help would be appreciated. Apologies for the long post.

Jeremy

Back
Top Bottom