Product Key

Sonny

Excellent Member
I am going to put a new motherboard and processor in today. I am wondering if my present Product key will work or will I have to buy an new one?

Custom built, or vendor computer and what type of license key do you have? Did it come with the computer or was it purchased separately?

I guess it is custom built since I built my own computer. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1.

You can install Windows 10 and use the 8.1 key, or if you use a Microsoft account it should automatically activate.

I went through this last week. It didn't activate normally but I entered my 8.1 key and all was fine. If not though use phone activation and explain your mobo died or was replaced but don't call it an upgrade.

I went through this last week. It didn't activate normally but I entered my 8.1 key and all was fine. If not though use phone activation and explain your mobo died or was replaced but don't call it an upgrade."

I ended up calling in to get it done. Mine would not take the key I have had since Windows 8. They generated me a new key.

I've done similar on older upgrades such as Vista To W7. Most people are not willing to call Microsoft because of the bad stories they've heard or about 4 hour wait times to get through. Microsoft is quite easy to reach on their support lines, and most professional repair Techs know this whether they are Microsoft certified or not. I've done quite a few this way, and their Support staff are quite helpful both to self-builders as well as owners of OEM computers too (Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba).:up:

<<<BIGEARJEDI>>>

If you have to call Microsoft to activate you don't even talk to a person, it's an automated prompt to activate.

Back
Top Bottom