Windows 7 Profile fails to load

mitchroberson

I have a windows 7 laptop that I loaded and it started having problems with the user profile I thought it might be a GPO that had been applied in the domain so I removed it from the domain. but I have still had multiple problems with the local profile.

I usually get profile not available for an error. and then it loads a temp profile. Or I get the profile service did not start.

any ideas would help thanks.

thanks for the link.
I have tried the link below and it works however i will have the same problem again within 8 hours. So I have had to recreate my profile about 6 times now with this link. And moving data between profiles and resetting up programs is getting old.

I need to find the cause of this. does anyone know why the sid.bak registry key is created?

A temporary profile is loaded after you log on to a Windows Vista-based systemLink Removed due to 404 Error

Hi mitch,

It seems to result from a corruption of the current user profile.

If you are having repeats of this, a Repair install may be the solution.

Repair install is the same as an upgrade install - boot into windows , put the install dvd in the drive, run setup.exe from within windows ( do not boot the dvd ) - select upgrade - follow instructions .

It replaces the o/s files, without affecting your own data and installed programs.

FYI there is a related issue here:

Error message when you log on to a Windows Vista-based computer by using a temporary profile: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded"

found issue

Thanks for all the help. I did some digging and the sid.bak key is created when a system is shutdown while a user is in the process of logging out or on. I am still not sure why this is happening on my system as of yet. but when the sid.bak is created it locks the other profile. If you delete the sid.bak key then all is fine.

However this happens about once a day. I am on a laptop and often go from docked to undocked. and my machine is shutdown and restarted often through out the day. So yesterday I had this happen twice. and friday twice. over the weekend only once each day.

I am sure it is something with the power down cycle on this laptop. I just have not narrowed it down as of yet. I will do some more testing and post if I find the exact answer.

Thanks again for all the reply's and help.

More info

I have been doing some more digging and have found where the VSS writer has a problem and converts the profile registry key from sid. to Sid.bak. And after that happens if i log off my next login will fail.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine ConvertStringSidToSid(S-1-5-21-2052111302-746137067-839522115-16296.bak). hr = 0x80070539, The security ID structure is invalid.
Operation:
OnIdentify event
Gathering Writer Data
Context:
Execution Context: Shadow Copy Optimization Writer
Writer Class Id: {4dc3bdd4-ab48-4d07-adb0-3bee2926fd7f}
Writer Name: Shadow Copy Optimization Writer
Writer Instance ID: {4ca9755d-2972-44c0-9f65-a7f4522ec7be}

mitchroberson,

I think i'm having a similar problem. Did you ever find a fix so this didn't repeatedly happen to you?

Back
Top Bottom