Windows 7 program files

kentman234

Hello,

I started to have a problem with an overloaded disk space and windows7 always reminds me of this so i deleted some of big files but still have a low space left. I also noticed that i have two "program files" folders, one of them called "program files x86". This of course takes high space of disk C, when i tried to delete one of them, it couldn't continue and asked me for the admission of administrator (who is me)..can anyone advice me?

Thanks

Welcome to the forums!

Good thing you didn't delete that! Windows needs both folders. the (x86) one is for programs that aren't x64 bit programs (which your Windows is if you have that folder). If you had deleted that folder, all programs installed there wouldn't work anymore.

Do you have another drive or partition other than C? You will have to put stuff there to make room on C. Anything on your desktop is on C. If you have folders with pictures, movies, music... on your desktop or in your "Documents" folder... that's all C and should be moved.

Also, Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click on "System Protection" and click on "Configure" button. Set it to 10% and click OK. Then go to START, type "clean" and choose "disk cleanup". Choose C and click OK. In the window that opens, choose "More Options". Click the second "Clean up" button (under system restore) and choose delete. Click ok and ok and let it to it's thing.

Download CCleaner (google it) and run a cleanup from there too. (It will clean up lots of junk from C).

If your C drive has another partition with lots of free space, you can use a free partition program from EASEUS to move some of the empty space to C. If you need help with that, post it here.

Last edited:
You're running 64-bit Windows 7 on an 80GB drive?
Is that the only drive in your system, or do you also have a D: drive for data?

Back
Top Bottom