PRogram Migration from XP to 7 RC

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by sgtsunburn, May 7, 2009.

1. sgtsunburn

sgtsunburn New Member

Need a little help here. So i just dl'd the Windows 7 RC, fresh install, found the windows.old folder, all is well, but i cannot get the USMT (user state migration tool) to work, nor can i figure out how to get the Deployment toolkit thing i've heard about. I need to install all the programs that i have into the windows 7 OS, basically what the USMT is supposed to do. Could someone explain the USMT process, or offer an easy and simple alternative?
    THanks

2. sgtsunburn

sgtsunburn New Member

bump? please?

3. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

Unfortunately, All 3rd party programs will need to be re-installed.

The windows.old folder can be deleted as well as long as you have made a backup of your important files.

4. Radenight

Radenight New Member

"Need a little help here. So i just dl'd the Windows 7 RC, fresh install, found the windows.old folder, all is well, but i cannot get the USMT (user state migration tool) to work, nor can i figure out how to get the Deployment toolkit thing i've heard about. I need to install all the programs that i have into the windows 7 OS, basically what the USMT is supposed to do. Could someone explain the USMT process, or offer an easy and simple alternative?
    THanks"
    [​IMG]
    Yes, as Reghakr said ALL 3rd party apps HAVE to be re-installed... ;)

Deleting the Windows.old folder will also free up a good chunk of HDD space.. :)

5. sgtsunburn

sgtsunburn New Member

yeh, but there are some apps, especially outlook, that i want to transfer over. and not the actual program files, i have those. I need the user profiles and such transferred over. Also my bookmarks from my browers in xp. other than that, im good.

6. Radenight

Radenight New Member

I'm pretty sure for Outlook you should have saved all your settings and emails BEFORE you installed Windows 7.... ;) The Windows.Old folder I'm almost certain does NOT contain that information... I hope I'm wrong about that but I really don't think it has that stuff in it.. I don't and have never used Outlook but like I said, I'm pretty sure you were supposed to save all that stuff before you installed 7.. ;)

The bookmarks from XP is the same case.. They should have been burned, copied or written down prior to the installation of windows 7 RC.. :)

7. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

That's why it's always good idea to get as much information as possible before installing an new OS.

I have two hard drives a permanently connected USB external hard drive and flash drives as well and I use these for saving my important files.

The reason all these applications need re-installed is because when you installed the new OS, the registry was completely re-written which means it contains no references to the programs you had previously installed.

Installing a program like Out or the full blown Off suite adds Thousands of registry entries and if these are not located in the registry the program won't execute at all.

Just a note for future use.