Programs can't be launched, Recent Items empty, missing Control Panel icons

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help and Support' started by bhanja_trinanjan, Apr 15, 2008.

1. bhanja_trinanjan

bhanja_trinanjan New Member

Hi,

I am not repeating the entire issue here. The subject says it all... Kindly visit

Baffling Vista issue! Please help - Rage3D Discussion Area

Basically, 90% of installed apps stop working all of a sudden... the screenshots in that thread illustrate the problem.

Using OEM version of Vista Home Premium 32 bit + SP1 + all updates + latest patches for every app & driver

System free of viruses & spyware...

Please help!

2. Celestra

Celestra Former Moderator

Hi!! Just Celestra here for the moment.... What is your computer make and model number? Have you downloaded anything lately? Your info doesn't come out on my computer, it's just a white window. Have you tried a system restore point ? Without knowing more about your case, it kind of sounds like you've lost some files or something.

3. bhanja_trinanjan

bhanja_trinanjan New Member

Dear Celestra,

Thanks for your help... I haven't updated anything manually.. I have got all the latest updates + SP1 via Windows Update automatically. I have the latest drivers for each and every piece of hardware and have installed requisite patches for each & every app.. Plus the apps on my system are pretty common ones... I have a single Seagate 7200.11 320GB running in AHCI NCQ on the JMicron JMB363 controller on the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3 bios F12 mobo.

The specs of my system are:

E6600
    8800GTS 320
    GA-965P-DS3 3.3 bios F12
    2GB XMS2 6400C4D Corsair dual channel kit
    Liteon PATA DVD writer on JMB363
    Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP1 + all updates

Could you view the thread @rage3d? all details about the issue there... yet to find a solution

4. Celestra

I think you may have lost basic program files, if you can't restore, then it's gotta come from back-up. Have you done any tweaks ?

5. 03hdfatboy

03hdfatboy Banned

I'm also a member of rage 3d.
    Reformat the drive and do a clean install of Vista and SP1. :D

6. kjanx

kjanx Guest

obvious, bad memory or bad install of vista with bad memory.

7. Celestra

Hi!!! I can now get your post, for some reason it wasn't working earlier. I have never had to install Vista, my computer was born that way. However, if I had seen your post I would have said it was a bad install. O3hdfatboy had talked about this sort of thing a lot, I think you should listen to him. If you register with this forum you would get better responses.

8. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

I agree with the above posts, check your memory using one stick at a time.. Save what work you can and re-install..

9. 03hdfatboy

03hdfatboy Banned

What he said :eek: