Windows 7 Program's can't install anymore; reset permissions (or confirm this is the problem)?

felciano

Hello all --

The permissions on my Windows 7 system (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) seem to have gotten screwed up over a period of months, such that applications now struggle to install or upgrade correctly.

For example, Acrobat and iTunes auto-updates no longer work because the downloaded updates cannot be run successfully from within their default download folders (appdata). Installs that do work on the EXE front still complain that they cannot create shortcuts on the desktop or elsewhere. Fresh installs seem to be having trouble as well, including Norton (Link Removed due to 404 Error).

I have tried a couple of different "Take Ownership" methods but they don't seem to help, and I'm trying to figure out what options I have short of doing a full re-install of Windows 7.

Is there a way I can confirm that these are permissions problems? For example, if an app fails because of a permissions issue, does it get written to a system log or some such?

Is there a way to reset file and folder permissions to Windows 7 system defaults? Unfortunately I don't have a system restore point I can fall back on.

Thanks,

Ramon

You have Ultimate, so when you go into manage from the context menu of Computer, look in event viewer. Under application or system would be your best bet. Though with that it would have to be an error that Windows Detects. Also unless you messed around with stuff, it sounds like you have gotten yourself a nasty virus type thing. This would most likely make most things pointless and in reality a reinstall would be your best bet.

Thanks Naiya -- I was afraid of that. I don't think it is a virus, but since I did run "take ownership" on directories in the Program Files directories I suppose I did "mess around" with stuff.

If I do a clean reinstall and create a new set of user accounts under that install, will that do a "clean" install of permissions on existing directories as well? For example, folders under my My Documents account are associated with user "felciano" on the broken OS. If I create a new install on a separate drive (assuming I can figure out how how to do a dual boot Windows 7) and create a new "felciano" user on that account, can I immediately start using the old My Documents contents? Or do I need to somehow migrate them to the new install and make sure the permissions (including ownership) flags get updated?

Ramon

I'd at least try running Malwarebytes and see what it comes up with.
Also try turning of UAC at least temporarily and see if it helps.

Try creating a new User ID, reboot into that ID set that ID up with all permissions and see if you still have the same problems.

Create a user account

If it works you can remove the old IDs once you have all your stuff transferred and be back to a normal boot.

Mike

Hi Mike --

Thanks, I'll give your suggestions a shot. I tried turning off downloading the UAC (method 1 at Link Removed - Not Found) and then downloading the free Malwarebytes software. When I tried to install it, I get a [IPOpenEvent] Failed to perform desired action. Error Code: 2" message, which I expect is related to the underlying problem.

I'll try the "Try creating a new User ID, reboot into that ID set that ID up with all permissions" option as well, but am not sure how to do the last part. Is it enough to make the new user an administrator, or are there other things to be done in order to have "all permissions"?

Thanks,

Ramon

I think all you need to do is set the account as Administrator in the change user account type.

There is a place to set what is available to each account type but I'm in Windows 8 and I can't seem to find it.

Mike

Mike, I am prety sure you are talking about Manage. It is a better place to set things like permissions and such. It has so many more options. Easiest way to get to it would be to right click on Computer and right around the second or third option will be Manage.

Sorry I am in the mind set of it is easier to reinstall the OS than it is to try and monkey around with removing the infection. I can install and be back up anr runing before most standard users can ID what the infection is. So that would be why I always fall back on the reinstall your OS. :) Its one of my little downfalls.

Last edited:
If you don't find any Malware and the new UserID doesn't do the trick then a repair install may be the next step.
If you have Service Pack 1 installed you have to remove it first.

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

How to uninstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

If you have a Windows back up file you can restore from that.
If not you should make one when you get everything up and running again.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom