Windows 7 Programs hang up during use, sometimes crash without warning

Coloumb

I’m a member of the IT department in a relatively small company. Yesterday morning, one of my users reported a strange error to me. I had never encountered this before. The problem he described is detailed further below. We have several of this model laptop; this is the first one to give us any problems.

System Information:
Lenovo ThinkPad T420s
Model #: 4170CTO
OS: Windows 7 Professional 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 (64-bit)
Processor: Intel Core i5-2540M (CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2 Cores)
RAM: 8GB
Spec Sheet: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Problem:

• The laptop locks up during normal usage, typically when running a Microsoft program such as Word or Excel. When this happens, it generally forces the program closed, resulting in lost of work completed.
  • On 6/28/12 the computer forced a shut-down without warning. After rebooting, the machine gave an error message saying something along the lines of “Not enough resources” to load the user profile. The message requests logging on with a user account which has been used previously on the laptop, even though the account(s) being tried have all logged on before. In order to log in again the machine had to be rebooted several times.
  • Computer has yet to provide a blue screen error.

I do have access to the Event Log, if it would be of any help. However, I could not find any errors associated with the log-on message we received. Here is one of the “Application Hang” errors, which I believe is what the user was referring to when he mentioned the trouble with Microsoft programs.
Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 6/28/2012 9:27:45 AM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: CLIL00026-T420S.ColdstreamLabs.local
Description:
The program Explorer.EXE version 6.1.7601.17567 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: dcc
Start Time: 01cd5528207bf840
Termination Time: 34894
Application Path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Report Id: f23c3238-c124-11e1-a497-e4d53dc8bfcc​

To my knowledge, the computer has not given the login error since the 06/28, but continues to run sluggishly and forcibly close some programs without warning.

Back