Windows 7 Programs instantly closing. Please help

JeffCodeblum

I have heard of this behavior from various people using various applications. It seems to happen more with 32-bit apps running on new Windows versions.

The program opens and immediately closes. It is only runs for a second or less. I have tried turning off data execution prevention which does not help. I am thinking maybe a security feature of Windows is shutting down my software application.

The program in question is an older 32-bit application which I am developing some updates for. It accesses the network and creates servers. It is written in C and C++. I have tried it on Windows 7, Server 2008, and Server 2012. So far it only runs in XP.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this project as I am running out of ideas.

Did you check the event log? Start -> Run -> compmgmt.msc -> Event Viewer

Looks for errors here. Obviously, compatibility mode may give it a go. Try running it with UAC, as it may require these prompts, and its not happening. See if that doesn't crash it.

Thank you for the quick response. I forgot to mention that I am running it in compatibility mode for Windows XP service pack 3. Thanks for the advice on the event log I will research more on how to use it on my own. I will also try UAC and get back to you. Thanks again.

Back