Programs won't start

#1
Alright, I'm going to try and make this short:

Bought some pieces, assembled a new PC, installed Windows 7 Ultimate, then SP1, then several programs and everything seemed to be fine. But the next day, without changing anything, some programs won't start correctly, to be more precise: their proccesses seem to start (or at least they show up on Task Manager, but consuming only a few KB of ram and no CPU) but no program window appears whatsoever. Sometimes rebooting the PC will stop this from happening, but not always.

Here I attach screenshots of CPU-Z and the customary files for debugging BSODs (I wasn't sure what data to give you guys, so I defaulted to this, as it should be pretty much complete, if you need anything else just ask).

Full system specs:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KBlnkHcHyEq2zz3G3fVww6f

Lastly, yes, I've looked around using search and found some other people with the same problem, but nothing to fix it really.

spd.jpg memory.jpg
 


Attachments

Last edited:
#2
Update:

"sfc/ scannow" generated the following log file.
 


Attachments

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
#3
Are you running an anti-virus? Something there may be keeping your programs from running.

Sounds like something is shutting down the programs as they start.

You might try running some virus scans to see if they find anything.

Have you checked msconfig.exe to see if anything shows up in the Start tab you do not recognize?

I suppose looking at the video driver might be useful. Is there anything in common with the programs that will not run, or the way you installed them?

Sorry I could not read your attachments, the CBS.log would not extract, but they are in another language anyway.
 


#4
It's a clean install, the problem started randomly.

No, the programs have nothing in common.

I use ESET Nod32, wich does not cause this problem.

The log file extracts just fine for me, and its in english..
 


Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
#5
The CBS.zip may work for you because it is on your computer. See Attachment. If I can get it open I will check if anything seems to be relevant.
 


Attachments

#6
...

I downloaded it from the attachments and it extracts just fine, what are you trying to decompress it with?

I've re compressed it with a "softer" compression and re-uploading here, just in case..
 


Attachments

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
#7
I am using Windows 7 Zip capability to extract. The second one works, but there is no mention of a System File Check operation. If it was done, you would see some [SR] notations.

Most of the log is made up of messages like the ones below. You might search the net for answers about those.

I see VirtualPC mentioned, are you running that?

I will assume the KB976933 update is a language version of the SP1 update KB976932. I have no experience with different language versions so have no suggestions as to what might be going on. Maybe the WindowsUpdate.log will show something.

I will look through some of the other logs as I can and will post back if I notice anything.

Error CBS Failed to shred identity: Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-LanguagePack [HRESULT = 0x80070057 - E_INVALIDARG]

Failed to find package from aggreated XML string, package: Package_for_KB976933~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~fr-FR~6.1.7601.17514 [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]

Failed to find package from deployment update [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]

Failed to check whether package is partially installed, package: Windows7SP1-KB976933~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514 [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]

Failed to evaluate external applicability for package update: 976933-0_neutral_PACKAGE [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]

Failed to call external evaluate applicability on package: Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514, Update: 976933-0_neutral_PACKAGE [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
 


Last edited:

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
#8
Looks like you Windows Update is locked up. I found an error code that might help, 80070490. I also found this Microsoft Link you might check.

Hopefully the tool mentioned in the reference will fix your problems, but if not, when it gets down to repairing Windows, some folks have chosen to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder, or even the folders inside of it. This will force Windows to rebuild the entire update system and might take some time.

If that doesn't work, you can still do a repair install.
 


#9
Thanks, I'll try with that tool..

A repair install won't be possible because I've installed SP1.. But if it omes to that point I'll just format and reinstall.
 


#10
Well then, a format and clean install solved it.
 


This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.
Top