PS3 Backup help.

There seems to be a mystery as to how to backup a PS3. I can't get any straight answers, so I'm trying this forum. All I want to do is backup the harddrive, not put in a new hard drive.

I have a 500Gig external harddrive partitioned into 4 partitions around 110Gig each. FAT32.

Is there a difference between using the Backup utility or the copy/move function? Somewhere I read that you can only transfer files up to 4Gigs in size. My LittleBigPlanet profile data is 4.7Gigs large. Is there any way to back that up?

I was told once you start backup, it will automatically backup the entire drive. So what happens when it hits the 4.7Gig file?

Thanks. I checked both web sites and the off-shoots. Nothing is mentioned about a 4 Gig limit. So does that mean that FAT32 does not have a 4 Gig limit?

zvit

Honorable Member
There IS a file size limit on partitions. You can read about it here:
Understanding File-Size Limits on NTFS and FAT

and here:
Understanding File System Options — ServerWatch.com

and if you really want to get geeky and technical, you can read this:
File Allocation Table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can either format your backup drive to NTFS so you don't have a problem with your bigger files, or you can compress them into sequenced archives. Ask if you need help doing this.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.