PSU Smoking and Graphics card not working now

#1
Yesterday my 500w powersupply started smoking up so I went out and bought a Thermaltake Lightpower 700w powersupply. After I finished rewiring my computer I noticed my graphics card wasn't working on my computer so I changed my input from HDMI to VGA to use the integrated graphics card.


I'm not sure what caused the original 500w powersupply to smoke up and why my graphics card doesn't work anymore. I'm unsure whether the graphics card isn't working because i've made a mistake in wiring the connection from my PSU to motherboard or if the PSU killed it.


Yesterday I also received a USB Wireless Receiver for Xbox which I plugged in the top USB slots I never use, could this be a reason for the PSU faulting? Sometimes when I plug in a USB device the metal surrounding the slots spark up a little which is why I mentioned the USB wireless receiver.


Below are the specifications of my system:


AMD Phenom X4 955 Black Edition 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
Kingston 2x4GB Ram 1333mhz
(New PSU) Thermaltake Lightpower 700w - (Old PSU) 500w
Sapphire Radeon HD6850 1GB GDDR5 Firmware flashed to HD6870


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Thanks for your help in advance.
 


kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
#2
Hi,

huge apologies for your post not being answered sooner. Do you still have an issue? I've never heard of sparks being present around a usb port but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Firstly how old is the machine and who built it?
 


Highwayman

Extraordinary Member
#3
sounds like the old PSU was not earthed correctly... suggest send back on RMA and ask for compensation for damage it caused.
 


This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.