Question about Windows 7 and hard drives.

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Serantos, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Serantos

Serantos New Member

So I downloaded and installed Windows 7 and I think it is really awesome! The only 2 problems I have seen so far is that it acts like its behind a firewall even though I have a static IP set up and the ports are properly forwarded.

The other one, and I'm not sure if there is a workaround or not. I have 2 hard drives, so I made a 60 gig partition on my secondary drive and installed it onto there, so I can dual boot. I can view my entire secondary drive, but for some reason I cannot get to my original C drive from my XP boot. Is there something I can do to make Windows 7 recognize this? I have a lot of music and media on there I would rather not have to transfer to my secondary drive.

Thanks for the help.

2. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

"but for some reason I cannot get to my original C drive from my XP boot"
    Do you mean from your 7 boot?

If you cannot see a drive/partition, from Windows 7, you will need to mount it. This will probably be sorted with the final release. I have found that if you run the 7 install disk from within Vista/XP, it will automatically mount the other OS from which you installed. However, do this:
    Open the Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk management.
    In there, you should find that you can see all the disks and partitions, but they may not have a letter designator. By right clicking them, you can assign a letter and you will then be able to see them in, for example, Windows explorer. You can juggle the letters around by changing and reassigning, but it would be a bit of a pain.

#2 davehc, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2008
  3. Serantos

Serantos New Member

Thats it! Thank you so much!

4. iroken22

iroken22 Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

Dave this is not an error in Windows 7. They specifically made it this way for security reasons. It is a good idea so windows just doesnt search out all drives on your computer or companies domain.

5. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Sorry. Didn't we have this exchange before, or was it another poster?
    I find that theory really hard to grasp, for one or two reasons. Could you give me a link to where MS specifically state that, as I would be very interested in reading up something on it.
    I have read quite another theory in the MS forums, which was neither confirmed or denied by MS!

#5 davehc, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2008
  6. hvacmoose

hvacmoose New Member

Didnot see my second drive there. I see it inthe device manager but not in disk manager. i havve been using ubuntu and it worked great as a storage drive formatted fat32. I have 320Gigs of movies on this drive.